Who enjoys weddings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

liaconn

Just wondering how many people on here enjoy going to weddings. Personally, while I appreciate the gesture of being invited, I actually hate having to go to them. I just think they're a really long day, with lots of boring standing around waiting for the bride and groom to leave the Church, waiting for the photographs to be taken so the meal can start, waitng for the room to be cleared so the dancing can start, screeching at the top of your voice to be heard over the band, not to mention all the small talk if you're stuck at a table with people you barely know for the meal. A lot of people I know feel the same and yet couples spend an absolute fortune on these occasions. I often wonder if they're wasting a lot of it on people who don't even want to be there.

It probably depends on whose wedding it is, I am not normally a fan but a close friend got married last year and we had a ball , I have another close friend getting spliced next month and am actually looking forward to it.

I actually like them sometimes.

Apart from being happy for the couple (when relevant) I like the unpredictability, the corniness, the atmosphere and the general mayhem. (Or maybe I just move in strange circles!)

I'm talking about those weddings when I know the bride/groom at least fairly well. Any others, I usually don't go to.

Hate them.
Boring, long day, too much booze, too much boring small talk.

Would much prefer to take the bride and groom out for a meal (just me, OH and them) so I could have proper conversation with them and a good quality dinner.

I like the unpredictability, the corniness, the atmosphere and the general mayhem.

Most recent one I was at a guest stalked me most of the late evening (while being careful to stay out of sight of my OH) and made some obscene gestures in my direction that I think meant he wanted to hook up. I wasnt too concerned as he had his own partner there, but then she went to bed early and the stalking became a bit more earnest, culmunating in him chasing me round the smoking area while making a number of inappropriate comments........

That was an unpredictable one!!

Most recent one I was at a guest stalked me most of the late evening (while being careful to stay out of sight of my OH) and made some obscene gestures in my direction that I think meant he wanted to hook up. I wasnt too concerned as he had his own partner there, but then she went to bed early and the stalking became a bit more earnest, culmunating in him chasing me round the smoking area while making a number of inappropriate comments........

That was an unpredictable one!!

I apologise.

They are like most social occasions in that the more people you know that are there and the closer you are to them the better time you will have. I love the corniness of them and the mix of age groups etc. They're one of those occasions where you can dance your heart out without a worry of how silly you look beacuse chances are everyone looks as bad.
And i'd say to anyone who doesn't enjoy them to politely decline the invite.
I'm getting married next year and if i saw anyone sitting looking miserable and not attempting to enjoy themselves i'd be tempted to eject them! If someone couldn't afford the day or didn't want to come i'd rather they didn't for both my sake and theirs.
I really dislike the barrage of complaints about traditional weddings that people tend to throw around. It seems very fashionable at the moment to poo poo the 'traditional' irish wedding.

Just because some of us don't enjoy weddings doesn't mean we sit around looking miserable. Most of us make trojan efforts to look as if we're enjoying ourselves. It is very easy to say politely decline the invitation, but this can result in hurt feelings or family rows and is easier said than done.

I don't think anyone on here is 'poo pooing' the traditional Irish wedding. Personally, its the big showy weddings which have become very popular in recent years, that I find most excruciating.

I have to say I've rarely been to an enjoyable wedding. I find some of them tend to be very 'formal' - it depends on the couple and family and how serious they are taking it - actually it depends on the bride and her parents mainly. A good best man speech can often set the tone for the night. The larger the wedding crowd, the less enjoyable the wedding is i.e. > 200 is a disaster IMHO. The night after a wedding can be a great laugh if people stay on for it - people are more relaxed, probably hungover and more familiar with each other etc. The auld ones usually comment on the meal a lot but the meals are rarely above an average carvery lunch no matter where you are and I suppose that is to be expected when feeding 100-300 people.
But yeah it is an expensive weekend and there is a lot of boring waiting around.

I don't think anyone on here is 'poo pooing' the traditional Irish wedding. Personally, its the big showy weddings which have become very popular in recent years, that I find most excruciating.

Not here but whenever the topic of weddings is brought up, on AAM or otherwise there is always a queue of people to criticise weddings and it can get very frustrating to listen to!

Im definitely not poo pooing them - each to their own and all that, but as a guest, I mostly find them boring and painful.

Just because some of us don't enjoy weddings doesn't mean we sit around looking miserable. Most of us make trojan efforts to look as if we're enjoying ourselves. It is very easy to say politely decline the invitation, but this can result in hurt feelings or family rows and is easier said than done.

+ 1

I don't like weddings and I especially don't like people getting precious about me not liking them.

I have a wedding next month where we have to travel 50 miles on a bad road to a normal sort of hotel.

The BTB doesn't seem to think that this is a problem for anyone and can't figure out why more people are not staying a second night because she'd like to make a weekend out of it.

The room is costing €190 for one night but if we want to stay 2 nights we get a special deal of €360 for 2 nights.

Not here but whenever the topic of weddings is brought up, on AAM or otherwise there is always a queue of people to criticise weddings and it can get very frustrating to listen to!

Thats' because you can't do it in real life. Tis the only place to vent.

Ok for those who dislike weddings, what could be done to improve the day? Or could anything be done? I'm getting married in a month and totally understand that some guests wont be particularly into the day but would like to make it as enjoyable as possible. I want something understated and simple but This post will be deleted if not edited immediately its hard to come up with ideas. Any ideas here?

Ok for those who dislike weddings, what could be done to improve the day? Or could anything be done? I'm getting married in a month and totally understand that some guests wont be particularly into the day but would like to make it as enjoyable as possible. I want something understated and simple but This post will be deleted if not edited immediately its hard to come up with ideas. Any ideas here?

Just a party would be grand.
But the church, the wait between the church and the meal, the wait between the meal and the dancing are all the boring bits where there is nothing to do but drink and make small talk with strangers. (well maybe not drink IN the church, but you know what I mean!!) - actually Id even suffer the church happily enough if I could just go straight to a bit of grub after it.

Oh and a DJ doing rave style dance music is a complete party killer with all the varying age groups at it.

it depends on the wedding, I don't mind the church bit as long as they don't go overboard, a bad meal is a downer, I've had some great ones and some that I wouldn't give to a dog. Likewise long speeches are a killer, my father-in-law set the standard when I was getting married, we timed it on the video afterwards, 38 seconds, who needs more

Likewise a great band can make the day, cousin of mine had the Cork City Jazz band who were tremendous and suited all ages

What I hate are when my staff get married, they usually invite the boss as a courtesy, it's hard to say no but I never really relax and enjoy the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back