Who checks the weighing scales?

B

BOXtheFOX

My brother told me recently that he always weighs his suitcase before taking it on holiday just to ensure that it is not overweight. He noticed last time that when he put it on the scales for his flight with a well known low cost airline recently that it weighed 1.5 kilos heavier. On the way back from his holiday recently he noticed the same thing happened on the way back!I am sure that the well known low cost airline are not aware of this and I would be interested to know how often they check the accuracy of their scales.

My sister mentioned that when weighing vegetables in a well known Irish Supermarket chain recently that different scales within the same store were weighing differently.

Is there any government body that checks these things similar to the checking of petrol and licensed premises measures?

Is there any government body that checks these things similar to the checking of petrol and licensed premises measures?

Yes, the legal metrology department of the NSAI is the body responsible. If you suspect that scales are not calibrated correctly then you can report the matter to them.

[broken link removed]

I have changed the reference to the airline and the supermarket.

ajapale

Contacting Legal Metrology:

Headquarters
Legal Metrology Service
NSAI, Dublin

Glasnevin,
Dublin 9,
Ireland

Tel: +353 1 8073807
Fax: +353 1 8073808
Email: [email protected]

Regional Verification Centres

Dublin
Legal Metrology Service
Poppintree Industrial Estate
Ballymun
Dublin 11
Tel: + 353 1 864 3848
Fax: + 353 1 864 3880

Cork
Legal Metrology Service
Rossa Avenue
Bishopstown
Cork
Tel: + 353 21 4346 256 Fax: + 353 21 4346 679

Dundalk
Legal Metrology Service
IDA Small Business Park
Coe's Road
Dundalk
Co Louth
Tel: + 353 42 933 2758
Fax: + 353 42 933 2751

Galway
Legal Metrology Service
Ballybrit Industrial Estate
Ballybane
Galway
Tel: + 353 91 771 943
Fax: + 353 91 758 932

Limerick
Legal Metrology Service
Plessey Technology Park
Castletroy
Limerick
Tel: + 353 61 330 708
Fax: + 353 61 330 698

Waterford
Legal Metrology Service
Northern Industrial Estate
Cork Road
Waterford
Tel: + 353 51 358 020
Fax: + 353 51 358 021

Sligo
Legal Metrology Service
Finisklin Industrial Estate
Sligo
Tel: + 353 71 50738
Fax: + 353 71 50739

i would think the airport check in systems etc belong to aer rianta which would mean that RA are innocent.

Hi eamonn,

This is interesting. I must look up the various metrology acts. However, I dont think it is a defence that you don't own (or maintain) the equipment.

ajapale

My old man was in the retail business for years. Every six months he received a visit to check the calibration of his scales. I'm amazed that airports aren't subject to similar controls, especially if they charge for excess weight!

On a related matter I pumped 6.5 litres of petrol into a 5 litre can on Sunday. When I commented I was told the "pump was ok". Of course it is it is making money out of thin air!

If I got 6.5 litres into a 5 litre can I would consider it theft. I would expose them to both the media and the relevant authorities. Where did this happen ?

But did you fill it to the 'max' line on the container, or did you fill it to the brim?

Back