Which to choose?

BCPK

A bit of advice please....I'm about to undertake a substantial daily commute and am about to choose between the following (probably).
2004 audi a4 1.9tdi 130bhp 41k miles, 22k euro after trade in;
2005 volvo s40 2.0d SE 40k miles, leather seats, 21k euro after trade in;
2005 volvo s40 2.0d S, 30k miles, 21k after trade in;
2004 Golf tdi, 35k miles, 14.5k euro after trade-in.

theres's too much choice out there!!!

If you're not concerned about budget then I'd go for the A4...for the 130BHP engine (which is great) if for no other reason.

It's also a classy car that screams class on the road and will always look good.

Residuals are excellent as well. You won't get that from the Volvo.

Second choice would be the Golf (if it's at least 110BHP) as it's relatively cheap and cheerful (in comparison to the others), decent enough to drive and decent residuals.

But...of the 4 - Audi.

The diesel engine in the Audi is very agricultural and outdated, therefore best avoided if you value refinement. Still, it is by no means a bad car, very poor amount of standard equipment though. The Golf is overpriced muck, same diesel engine as the Audi except in a detuned form. VW reliability hasn't been very well reknowned in the past few years and I hear custmer service is appalling. The Volvo, like the Audi is positioned more upmarket. It is more modern, better engine, decent handling being based on the Ford Focus chassis and better value. Definately go for the SE spec, you get an awful lot of extras such as leather, 17" alloys, wood effect inlays and a lovely sound system.

I agree that the A4 engine is outdated and a bit noisy but think of it this way.
You are doing a large amount of miles. You want a frugal engine, with some nice power, and comfort for long journeys. The A4 will give all these and as previous poster said, 'screams class' also. It is cheap to service (outside a dealer) and will give very little problems. If you can manage sport version, the seats are excellent with lumbar support, very comfoprtable.

I have had mine for the last 3 years, it's on 85k miles at the moment, and while I am getting a bit bored with, I cannot justify getting rid of it as it super reliable and I have just gotten 720 miles out of my last fill of diesel on my daily commute dublin-gorey.

Price might put people off though I have to admit

Yes the A4 without question if the budget will stretch to it. I had one for the last 3 years and it never put a foot wrong. Great power and fuel economy and super reliable. My only gripe was the cost of dealer servicing but as its out of warranty you can take it to anybody for half the price or less. The others are a class below it really.

Substantial daily commute?.....Toyota Avensis D4D would be my choice

Ahem, you must be joking... The Avensis is automotive white goods, the only reason it does well in Ireland is because we seem to have a fetish for dull, reliable Japanese cars. That's why we are one of the few countries to get the 'new' Nissan Tiida!

Ahem, you must be joking... The Avensis is automotive white goods, the only reason it does well in Ireland is because we seem to have a fetish for dull, reliable Japanese cars. That's why we are one of the few countries to get the 'new' Nissan Tiida!

What amazes me is they have the nerve to advertise it on television. There should be laws banning particularly ugly cars on tv...maybe even roads ;)

What amazes me is they have the nerve to advertise it on television. There should be laws banning particularly ugly cars on tv...maybe even roads ;)

The amazing thing is that they seem to be selling quite well!:eek: I have seen a good few over the past few days, their market is for people who look at their car as an appliance like a washing machine, fridge etc ...

their market is for people who look at their car as an appliance like a washing machine, fridge etc ...

I think that sums up a main proportion of the drivers in Ireland. Like my dad for example, 'What do want all that power for, surel it's only for getting from A to B.' Makes me laugh every time :)

I think that sums up a main proportion of the drivers in Ireland. Like my dad for example, 'What do want all that power for, surel it's only for getting from A to B.' Makes me laugh every time :)

Do we share the same dad by any chance?

Exactly, think of the Nissan Almera and Primera. They sold poorly in the UK all through their production life resulting in the Almera not being properly replaced and the Primera totally discontinued. In Ireland the Primera is still being sold and selling strongly, we have cars like the Ford Mondeo and VW Passat and people are still favouring cars like the Primera and Avensis! When you could have a Golf for little or nothing more than an Auris, the Irish will still choose the latter. It drives me nuts thinking about it!

Rant over ...:D

Back