Which PRSI Contributions are used to assess eligibilty ?

Ask the dog

Hi,
I read on the social welfare website that jobseekers allowance is not means tested but unemployment benefit is and it is related to the number of PRSI contributions paid 2 years previous while in employment.

I was on a career break two years ago and my company was still paying employer PRSI contributions on my behalf but I was not paying the employee PRSI portion.

So my question is - which PRSI contributions do welfare assess to determine whether you get jobseekers allowance or unemployment benefit - Is it Employer or Employee PRSI contributions ?? Or both ?

As far as I know, it's employee PRSI. To be certain, you could contact Central Records Section in SW and ask for your contribution record for 2007 to check what contributions have been recorded for you.

If you didn't have sufficient contributions from 2007, you may qualify based on contributions from 2005 & 2006.

Firstly let me clarify:-

• Jobseekers Allowance is means tested
  • Jobseekers Benefit (formerly Unemployment Benefit) is not means tested
PRSI paid at class A is reconable for benefits regardless of whether it is paid by Employer only or a combination of employer and employee.

Employee earning over E38 per week should have a class A contribution paid by him or on his behalf

Back