Which is the best car to buy?

Headachecity

Hi guys,

In a very confused state today!. Selling my beloved Accord and was buying a Passat until I came across another car on Monday!.

Scenario is:

03 Passat (auto) 1.9tdi 110bhp €15k from multi dealer in Wexford. 60k miles, fsh, cracked windscreen, car spotless etc.

04 Ford Focus Cmax (manual)1.6 tdci €16k from reputable dealer in Wicklow, 35k kilometres on the clock, fsh, not a bother with it, spotless etc.

Now I am borrowing €10k to buy one of these so I want to buy the best one, what would you buy, basically what is the best car out of the 2 considering I will be keeping it for 4 years.

My Accord (auto) is 7 years old now so had to get rid of it and both garages are taking my car as a trade in so I am getting 5k for it off each of them.

very confused over which one to get, always been a VW/Honda woman and was never mad into Fords but I know the Cmax is a good car so I'm thrown now...all replies really appreciated.

Re: Which is the best car to buy??

If things like power and badge aren't that important to you (and they tend to be less important with women) I'd go with the Ford as well

I used to be big into performance etc but now that I have just hit my 30's and have 2 kids now safety, reliability, comfort and space are my priorities. My gut is nodding towards the Ford aswell.

The 110BHP VW in auto form won't exactly be blinding anyway.

The Ford much has lower mileage and I suspect will be a lot more practical for your family. Also probably cheaper to service...

I would imagine the Ford is probably better for reliability.

Someone told me recently that VW cars in general are the ones he was called out to most frequently regarding breakdowns. Cannot remember who told me it but must be someone in the business.

i think that Passat is overpriced. I bought an 03 one last year 130bhp for that money

I was a passenger in the Ford C-max over the week-end and it wasn't bad at all. They bought it brand new back in 2004 and they haven't had any probs with it so far. Hope it works out well for you too!

The Ford will be slower but the Focus is a better car to drive IMHO.
I agree with PDG1; the Passat is overpriced.
The Ford will be cheaper to service and is much more reliable, not just from a breakdown point of view but in my experience VW's blow bulbs, have problems with electrics in general and bits are more likely to fall off.
Go for the Ford.

The main difference here is the passat is fully 10 years older in design. The 2 cars are a generation apart

Do you need to change the Honda? Would have thought a 7 year old accord would be good for many more moons. 10k over 3 years is about 300 per month after tax....

Both cars are very different as far as I'm concerned...one is a saloon, the other a mini people carrier. Think it boils down to your persoanl taste to the design of the car at the end of the day, though in terms of value (which is what everyone in this website is preoccupied with), mileage and potential motoring miles, the Ford might be a better bet.
As Firefly says, have you thought of holding onto the Honda....or have you looked at the newer model Honda Accord?

I owned 2 Ford Focus C-Max 1.6 Zetec TDCI's. They were excellent vehicles. Not 1 problem with either.

I would love a new Accord but I am looking at 2004 models and they are way out of my price range. I have €16k to spend on my new car which includes the sale of my own car so have to be careful. I am going for the C-max, it's much better for me, better for the kids and very reliable and not that slow at all, a good bit of poke in it when required!
I am going to really miss my Accord, it's just brilliant, 89k miles on it and it drives like a dream and it's a 1.8ils Vtec 145bhp triptronic so I have really took my time trying to get a car that will live up to it. It's really just age and wanting to go up the years is the main reasons for selling it.

The VW auto, don't go back to a manual it will drive you nuts. Ford dull, dull dull.

The VW isn't that reliable nor well made, and if mated to an autobox might be a bit sluggish. The prestige label they are perceived to have is not deserved either.

Ford make the best handlling mass market cars in every major class. The Focus C-Max, despite being tall, really is a good yoke to drive. The 110bhp diesel sips fuel and is quite lively.

The VW isn't that reliable nor well made, and if mated to an autobox might be a bit sluggish. The prestige label they are perceived to have is not deserved either. but whether you like it or not, they are a prestige label

Ford make the best handlling mass market cars in every major class.

This is very true, and they do indeed are a mass market manufacturer. If they didn't make their cars so mass market, and changed the slant of their marketing, they too could be percieved as prestigious and charge more.

The Focus C-Max, despite being tall, really is a good yoke to drive. The 110bhp diesel sips fuel and is quite lively.
Agreed, and much better than others of its class eg the Megane scenic

Back