which is better area in lucan?

tomi666

Hi,all

Does anyone know that the mount andrew and liffey valley park in lucan are good estates to live for a family? which is better?

Many thanks

I would consider Liffey Valley Park a family friendly estate. Having lived here for a number of years I would say the kids seem to get on with each other and there are quite a few large green areas within the estate. Its has a settled feel and most of the families have been here for quite a while. There is a creche at the front of the estate . Some of the kids would walk/cycle to Lucan Educate Together/Gaelscoils while others get a bus from the Ballyowen Shopping Centre or need to be dropped to their schools . There is a park/football club across the road which is handy. I would say Mount Andrew and Liffey Valley Park are quite similiar, except that there are more apartments at the back of Mount Andrew while Liffey Valley Park would be mostly houses which tend to be occupied by families, if that is what you are looking for.

Hi, thanks for your reply. I've been there for some times. The area is quiet and the houses are beautiful. As I know that down to the liffey terrace there is a Lidl and was told the area is quite rough and daggy. Has any trouble happened from there? Can get into the St.Mary's GNS easily if live in liffey valley park?

Thanks mail

The area around Lidl/Ballyowen Shopping Centre does attract teens hanging out etc. Thankfully it does'nt affect us here as I suppose its a bit of a walk and there is nothing here to attract them here. So I have'nt heard of any problems from there and as you say the estate is quiet. St. Mary's GNS is in St. Mary's Parish and priority is given to estates within the parish. Our estate like many other of the newer estates are not in St. Mary's Parish. However as the age profile of the village has changed and there are less younger girls within the parish, they do take children from outside the parish. There would be no automatic guarantee of a place so you would have to apply and hope for the best. St. Mary's GNS is quite a small school whereas the secondary school next door to it (St. Joseph's) is much larger, so they do take the girls from Liffey Valley Park.

Hi,
This development is 8-? years old and just after Larkfield opposite to Mount Andrew, still this is considered as not so good part of Lucan though Larkfield is considered as one of the best part. I just want to know the reason behind it, from what I can think main Cloandalkin/liffey valley SC is atleast 1 km from here. And Lidl is a good bit away as well.

Thanks

Initially when Larkfield was built it would have been very nice with big houses. However, there was some issue with the apartments there, they were vacant for a long time with hoarding and machinery left there. It backs on to a council estate. It wouldn't be considered one of the best parts of Lucan imo. I don't know that there is much to choose between the two estates.

Last edited:
Larkfield and Liffey Valley Park are next door to each other, so area wise they are the same. As the other poster said, there is very little to choose between the two.

I used to live in Liffey Valley Park and now I live in Mount Andrew. Both estates were built in 1999/2000. My opinion would be that there are more rental properties in Liffey Valley Park. Some parts of the estate are very well kept and some parts are quite run down looking ie properties are not well kept. There are many green areas and a lot of families live in the estate. There is a Residents Assoc that was quite active when I lived there - not sure how it is now - if you google Liffey Valley Park you will find the website. The Residents Assoc was good at the time with doing up the estate - eg painting walls and planting shrubs. So why did we move? Mount Andrew is in the parish of St Marys so that is what we wanted school wise. The house we moved to is bigger (but this obviously would have nothing to do with the pros and cons of both estates). I find Mount Andrew a lot quieter - there are a lot of families but it just does not seem as 'mad' as Liffey Valley Park!! My opinion is that the majority of the properties are very well kept and there are a lot of mature trees throughout the estate. There is a residents association but it does not seem to be as active but I know there is money in the kitty that is used for the upkeep of the estate. There was a Christmas Party last year for all the children and that was very good. So if you asked me which estate I prefer I would hand on heart have to say Mount Andrew - much quieter and more relaxing. At our time of moving, Mount Andrew was always slightly more expensive which I think reflected the fact that it is part of St Marys Parish but I could not say what way the prices are presently as I do not monitor this anymore. But really the best way to get a feel for a place is to visit it at different times of the day/night/evening. Good Luck.

Dear Members,

I have recently moved to MountAndrew and have admission for my son in St.marys BNS, Lucan. Does anyone know if there is any "after school hours service" available near by to collect/drop off from school ?

KittyKatty - Thanks for your post on MountAndrew earlier on, the estate itself is very quiet and I am liking it alot. maybe you have an idea if an after hours service is availble close by ??

Thanks in advance.

Back