Which diesel car to get?

positivenote

HI all, this post is two fold...
First up, does anyone know anyone who car tow a car across dublin (clonee to tallaght) and what price approx it would cost?

Secondly, im in the market for a new used car, i drive close to 100 miles a day on motorways and have approx 11k to spend. I have been told to go with a deisel but am ignorant as to what cars are suited for doing this kind of millage... can anybody give me any advice on what i should be looking for... in a dream world it would be a bmw 320d for no other reason than they'er beautiful :)

thanks in advance

Have a look at www.carzone.ie

Go to used cars and advanced search.

You can specify max price oldest fuel type etc.

I have a 2001 passat sport tdi 130 bhp 6 speed.
Commute from arklow to tallaght so same sort of miles.

Very comfy loads of power 600 plus miles per tank.

On towing a car from Clonee to tallaght. buy a tow rope and get a mate to give a dig out. As long as you take it easy and dont' go during rush hour you should be grand.

Price = rope and a few pints for obliging mate.

On towing a car from Clonee to tallaght. buy a tow rope and get a mate to give a dig out. As long as you take it easy and dont' go during rush hour you should be grand.

Price = rope and a few pints for obliging mate.

Sorry to but in with another question but i have recently heard that towing a car with another car with a rope can now get you points on your licence. i dont really believe it there is a lot of talk lately about what will get you points and what wont. does anybody know for fact if you can tow another car?? not a van`!

Also another story - To legally be allow ed to tow a double axel or more trailer one need to have a 4 wheel drive ????

Sorry to but in with another question but i have recently heard that towing a car with another car with a rope can now get you points on your licence. i dont really believe it there is a lot of talk lately about what will get you points and what wont. does anybody know for fact if you can tow another car?? not a van`!

Also another story - To legally be allow ed to tow a double axel or more trailer one need to have a 4 wheel drive ????

You will get penalty points for http://www.penaltypoints.ie/the_full_list_of_offences.php (these offences.) No mention of towing in it's own right but I could see how it could come under some of the other headings if the guard didn't like you !:D

You should def get a diesel, it'll save you loads in the long run and you should pick up a pretty nifty one for 11k.

Dont go near a Renault Laguna! I've just blown the Turbo in mine at a cost of €600! I was lucky I could have creamed the engine in the process! Common fault with all the Diesel Lagunas.

I would seriously consider VW Passat! Great comfortable car.

thanks for the advice,
any other recomendation on whats the best diesel for in or around my budget, i'd love a golf or 320d bmw :) but any around that price have huge millage... close to and over 70-80k...
all advice of pros and cons are welcomed...

Skoda Octavia... good value, very economical, reliable, plenty of power in the 1.9 TDI....

Mondeo 2.0 TD is another option. For 11k you should be able to get a decent '01 115 bhp with less than 80k miles. Don't go for a 90bhp, they're sluggish enough.

Octavia and Passt you can't really go wrong with either, just make sure the timing belt was done at 60k. And again, go for the 110/130 bhp models if at all possible.

Stay clear of Renault, Citroen. BMW are great car but notorious for breaking down although i agree 320 is a gorgeous car and i wouldn't mind owning one.

I think the way to go is VW. The Passat is a nice big comfortable car. Fairly reliable. If you don't want a big car i'd go for the golf. they are a lovely car. Very Reliable.
Theres mothing wrong with the skoda only i think they are a bit light and just don't give out that "cool" image. They are well within your budget though.

Good luck

so a BMW is unreliable and a Golf isn't........ I always thought it was the other way around!!

Back