Which car to change ?

KCT

The scenario is this, myself and spouse have two cars, a 2002 Seat Leon with 60000 mls and a Renault Clio 1997 with 85000 mls. 10 grand to spend, probably looking to upgrade to a 2005 car. We would do about 28000 miles a year between us travelling to our respective work places and two cars are essential.

We are undecided about whether to shift the Leon or the Clio, both are paid off. Has anyone any advice about what to do and what car to get.

Thanks

hiya,

No expert here, but id say get rid of the clio. Keep the fleet young!! Maybe if you sell (whichever you decide to sell) privately, you can haggle more when it comes to purchasing the new car.

You could get alot for 10k, like will you or the missus by driving it? petrol/diesel? engine size are all factors.

Shope around lots of second hand cars out there. :)

I was wondering if it made sense to keep the Clio until it will go no more, probably only worth about €1500 so it may be worth more to keep than sell.

I was wondering if it made sense to keep the Clio until it will go no more, probably only worth about €1500 so it may be worth more to keep than sell.

In general if the car is not inclined to give problems then yes it does make sense to keep the thing as long as possible. The problem with this is sometimes it can be difficult to say when a car is dead ie beyond its economic repair. Will the death be sudden or will it be death by a thousand cuts? If the thing gives up one day and you are told it will cost in excess of a grand to fix then you will probably say ok its dead move on. However, if it gives up slowly with a succession of small problems you could find yourself forking out a lot more than that over the space of a few months. The NCT is a good reflection point on this. In fact I'm off to the NCT with my 93 today the only question I'm asking myself is how badly will it fail? Will this be the death certificate?

I think it's hard to say ahead of the game when there are two cars in the household (the norm these days), I think most people with families have one "good" car and another runabout and I find it difficult to figure out economically when these cars should be changed so that you aren't paying a car loan constantly.

Well what do you know my 93 Corolla with 212000miles on the clock did very well on the NCT. For about 150 euros I should be back on the road for another year or two. Hard to beat that for value. :)

Unless you really want a newer car, why not drive the fleet into the ground. The clio is worthless anyway. See how much further you can go and in a few years when you have to, replace them with a 2 yearold car then.

Maybe, but do you ever just get sick of driving the same motor, never really took to the Leon at all and the Clio has no power steering so can be a fecker to park. Definately going to shift one, leaning towards the Leon.

Back