Which Car to Buy

foxylady

I am looking at the following anc cant make up my mind all advice appreciated.

An 02 Yaris for 7k, An 04 Yaris for 9.5k or an 03 Fiesta for 8k

I agree, Yaris over Fiesta any day, and judging by the prices online for '04 model I'd day thats a good price.
I've owned both cars and Yaris never gave me a days problem in 4 years of driving, Fiesta in 2 years of driving was in garage 6-7 times... Both cars were 2 years old when purchased. Yaris was 1L model and compared to the 1.4L Fiesta seemed to have more power when driving.

Should not the mileage, condition and history of the cars be a factor in your decision other than just the number on the reg plate? I agree that the Yaris is the better option but a well looked after 02 might be a better option than an abused 04.

Also are they all from the same garage or a mixture of garages and private? Some prefer to pay a bit more for the peace of mind of buying from a reputable dealer who will "stand over" his cars.

The fiesta is also a bigger car so the needs of the OP in this area should also be factored in.
I agree that the Yaris is a better car mechanically but the Fiesta is also a good car.

Assuming mileage is not extreme and there is reasonable service history - the 04 Yaris, easily.

"If only the feckin' Irish could get over their obsession with dull as ditch water Japanese cars "​

(note - the post bearing the above comment appears to be deleted, 6 Sept)​

-------------------------​

I think that comment is unwarranted. There are lots of Japanese cars out there with great styling, for example -

a) Honda Civic

b) Mitsubishi Eclipse (not in Ireland but a very stylish Jap car)

c) Mazda MX5

................etc

Last edited:
Toyota Corolla, Auris, Avensis.

Nissan Tiida

All dreadfully dull.

Should not the mileage, condition and history of the cars be a factor in your decision other than just the number on the reg plate? I agree that the Yaris is the better option but a well looked after 02 might be a better option than an abused 04.

Also are they all from the same garage or a mixture of garages and private? Some prefer to pay a bit more for the peace of mind of buying from a reputable dealer who will "stand over" his cars.

02 has 30000 on it 04 has 18000 and the 03 fiesta has 400000 on it they are all from garages but not the same one, as for whether they are reputable or not I have no idea.

I assume you mean 40k on the Fiesta... I have had two Fiestas and loved both. No problems with either and intend to buy another when the time comes. The Yaris is mechanically sound, but it feels "wrong" to me. It’s like sitting in a biscuit tin - all plastic and tinny feel (even more than the Fiesta).

Ford servicing tends to be cheaper as well – but both are very popular so parts and resale should be no problem.

BB

02 has 30000 on it 04 has 18000 and the 03 fiesta has 400000 on it they are all from garages but not the same one, as for whether they are reputable or not I have no idea.

In that case I would definitely go with the 04 Yaris. Its the best one there for the money.

In that case I would definitely go with the 04 Yaris. Its the best one there for the money.

That should have read 40000 for the fiesta , also I have been told not to be too hung up on mileage as cars can be clocked.

Before you make a final decision, you might consider having the car checked out by the AA - well worth the cost of around 220 euros - details at [broken link removed]

Before you make a final decision, you might consider having the car checked out by the AA - well worth the cost of around 220 euros - details at [broken link removed]

An AA check is useless and very expensive. I'd just recommend bringing your mechanic or someone who knows alot about cars along with you if you can. Go over the car with a fine toothcomb yourself and check for accident damage i.e. check under carpet in boot area, panels are perfectly alligned and for signs of respraying..

I'd personally go for the Fiesta. I was in the Yaris and found it to be a hateful little thing. It was the most uncomfortable car I had ever travelled in and the interior plastics were plain and utterly nasty. It was also so unresponsive and unenjoyable to drive I felt I wanted to go on an alcohol binge. All it has going for it is reliablity and that's it. I had a Fiesta on holiday and I found it was a great little driver's car. It had a good quality cabin, was comfortable and nippy. Add to the fact that Ford's are actually if anything, probably as reliable as Toyota's nowadays and they won't leave you feeling cold either;).

Have just realised both Yarii (?) are the older model.

Reliable, but not great in any other respect.

Personally, I'd go for the Fiesta: more comfortable, roomier boot + interior, and, as Jeff says, more involving to drive.

Not as reliable, but still OK in that respect.

Thanks for all the advice folks, I am hoping to look at both over the weekend so will let you all know which I opt for in the end.:)

Thanks for all the advice folks, I am hoping to look at both over the weekend so will let you all know which I opt for in the end.:)

Also bear in mind the Yaris was lauched in '99 and the Fiesta in '02. The Fiesta is a good bit newer and they tend not to be as overpriced as Yarii.

07 yaris(s) hired out by Hertz etc are now hitting the garages. Was looking for a good 05 corolla but admit tempted by these models. saw 4 yesterday . milage from 11,000 km to 15,000 kms. all 3 months old. also noticed that when they were originally registered that it was for 3 months, no waste on behalf of the hire company there!. Like the huge boot on the corolla though. informed that there will be little or no corollas returned by the hire companies. the garage gave a blanket quote of €14,500 for all 4 motors. even though one was not metallic.

Back