Which car to buy????

Cathy1

Hello! Trading in a petrol Toyota Avensis 1.6 this month. Single Mum with teenage son and a busy life. Working fulltime, so little (make that no!) time to spend scouring car show rooms and websites. I'd like a change from the reliable, but not v. exciting, Avensis. ( If all else fails, will settle for the 2.0L diesel Avensis). Would ideally like a motor with higher driving position, but these seem to be more pricey and I wonder are the extra €€ justified. I took the Diesel Skoda Octavia & Yeti for a test drive, but not wow to drive (perhaps becuase I'm used to a petrol engine). Taking a Toyota Auris for test drive Wed. Nissan Qashqai has also been suggested. Ideal spend
< €20,000 with the trade in (my own worth about €5,500). Looking for a reliable diesel motor which is economical to run and not too dreary inside!! A car that makes me happy and is fun to drive! :)

If you are looking for a bit of fun how about an Alfa Mito or a Guiletta.

Sat in them both last week, they are gorgeous and I know the engines are nicely spec'ed.

Alfa Romeo Guilietta, Mito, 147 and Brera would all be worth a look and the Alfa JTD (Diesel) engine is a little cracker.

The BMW X3 (and possibly X1, although these are newer and therefore not as cheap yet) might also be worth a look. Not exactly 'exciting' to drive but as good as a regular hatchback rather than as bad as a regular SUV.

The Qashqai isn't a bad choice and also the new Juke although I've no idea where the prices of these are at the moment.

The Citroen DS3 is an option as it's a cracking car to look at, not something you see everyday and again, the diesel engine is the one to go for.

Sticking with the French, a Renault Megane could be good. Make sure you go for a new model Coupe though, or at the very least, a 3-door. Or for something more interesting you will probably find an old model Cabriolet that's in budget.

Thinking about Cabriolets, you could try a VW Eos. The folding hard top offers more comfort and security and all round, they're not a bad car.

Changing tack slightly is the Audi TT. While the diesel TT might be out of your price range (again, a bit too recent) it could be worth looking at a petrol one.

Above all.... PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't be boring. Every man and his dog consider a Golf or a Focus.... buying a Renault (E)Fluence simply show's you've given up on life... and a Toyota Auris is just beige....

(There is of course option B.... spend 15k on something really really interesting and use the remaining 5k to keep it on the road.....

[broken link removed]

[broken link removed]

[broken link removed]

Just a thought....... )

Last edited:
Above all.... PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't be boring. Every man and his dog consider a Golf or a Focus.... buying a Renault (E)Fluence simply show's you've given up on life... and a Toyota Auris is just beige....

I would agree that older Golf Models are boring. However the new Mark 6 is a brilliant car.

I was previously a Golf hater!

Back