Which car should I buy?

Kar00

I'm planning on buying an '04 or '05 hatchback for the €12000-€14,000 mark. I had my heart set on a Megane but have read some bad reviews. Other options would be Ctiroen C4 or Opel Astra. Anybody any pointers? Thanks.

I would have thought the Audi A3 would be a noble choice however, i have to say a friend of mine has a 05 Opel Astra and they are very nice indeed.

Stay away from French cars, depreciate like hell and are gay!

Just bought an 05 Astra. Delighted with my purchase so far. Nice and spacious, well appointed, great boot space and a pleasure to drive. Had an 00 Astra for a few years in Oz and found it very reliable. Opel dealership I bought mine from was doing some good deals. PM me if you want details.

i ordered a 5 door renault modus automatic yesterday, seems a sturdy car lots of extras also dual sunroof, last 5 cars i have had been all renaults,present one 98 scenic

The newest A3 I could afford is a '02 - so would prefer not to go for that. The golf is acutally one I'd be keen on although not sure that I'd be able to afford new model.
Surprised at the lack of popularity of the megane.

Buy Japanesse. Honda maybe a little bit more expensive but worth the reliability.

The French and Germans can design a good looking car but can't build them. Run a mile from Renault.

Buy Japanesse. Honda maybe a little bit more expensive but worth the reliability.

The French and Germans can design a good looking car but can't build them. Run a mile from Renault.

......keep going for another mile to get away from Citroen ;)

Don't know anything mechanically about cars, I buy based on looks and colour! I have a Megane for 3 or 4 yrs and love it, never lets me down and I particularly like the radio controls on the steering wheel, much safer when driving. Have been looking to upgrade for a while but dont like the shape of new Megane, its not that easy to find a car in the same price & size range with the radio control on wheel and would never buy one without it again.

Try an Opel Astra. Same money, same controls on the wheel and probably the worst seating position propagating a bad back for any journey over 50 miles.

Anything from the Volkwagen/Seat/Audi range will be infinitely better.

Wouldn't part with my Golf for all the world inspite of the hard seats. That said i'm giving it to the missus and saving for a Hyundai Sante Fe II

Last edited:

yes but something else to factor in esp for a family is safety.

Its not safe to be sitting on the side of the road waiting for the AA to come fix a breakdown, buy Japanese as French cars give trouble. We have has 2 Peugeots, 1 Renault and will never touch a French car again. There is very little between cars of the same class when it comes to occupant safety, a better built car is
undoubtedly better and safer in the long term.
The Almera is a ok car but its so boring, the Corolla is less boring but a good car. The Honda Civic is probably the best of both worlds, its interesting, performs and handles well and is very dependable!

Thanks for all the replies.

Not mad gone on Almeras, and Corollas - well I only ever seem to see priests driving them!!

At the moment I drive a Clio Sport which has the radio controls on the steering wheel and have to admit thats a necessity for me.

Am keen on the Golf but the basic model doesn't come with many 'extras'.

Its not safe to be sitting on the side of the road waiting for the AA to come fix a breakdown, buy Japanese as French cars give trouble. We have has 2 Peugeots, 1 Renault and will never touch a French car again. There is very little between cars of the same class when it comes to occupant safety, a better built car is
undoubtedly better and safer in the long term.
The Almera is a ok car but its so boring, the Corolla is less boring but a good car. The Honda Civic is probably the best of both worlds, its interesting, performs and handles well and is very dependable!

Funnily enough I have never seen a renault on the side of the road - they just don't start! :)

But seriously the clio that the OP drives is actually rock solid - the new megane & laguna seem to be a different story.

The new megane is a nice car, lots of extras, roomy, good power output from engines (compare renault 1.4 98bhp v's golf 1.4 75bhp), safe, cheaper, however there is the reliability.

I think that a good solid choice in this range is the ford focus - 1.6 or above, or TDCi is doing big miles...

Back