Which boxset?

Firefly

With the winter approaching I am thinking of buying one of those complete box sets on offer in HMV. I used to enjoy 24 when it was on but never watched a complete "day". The other one I am considering is the West Wing. Finally, we started watching The Sopranos awhile back but never really took to it (to be fair only watched the first 3 episodes).

What are you favourites and why?

The usual suspects for 'The Best TV Series Ever Made Ever' includes ..

The Sopranos
The Wire
The Shield
Breaking Bad

3 of which I've seen (4th being The Shield), and all of which I'm happy to recommend. Also The West Wing.

Loved the West Wing apart from the last series.

Sopranos is worth a look as is The Wire. Also Band of brothers and Seinfeld are among my favourites.

Game of Thrones is out soon

Friday Night Lights is a good show, you don't need to know anything about football
Five seasons

The Wire is all that you should need for your long, cold winters nights viewing. I downloaded the first episode there the other night and watched it again and it has whet my appetite to watch the whole lot again. Its just so well written, and I think a second time I may appreciate it more and understand the characters development more.

The others that I would recommend is the Sopranos, or there is a series called OZ which is from HBO I think and whilst it did air here (late at night) I watched a few episodes and found it to be good.

Thanks...hadn't thought of The Wire...9.6/10 from 42,000 reviews on imdb...they can't all be wrong!

It's up to Season 5, I think, in the USA, so the chances of catching season 1 on TV is, I guess, remote.

The book that inspired the series is next on my list.

I meant any season?

The book is very good but totally different to the the series I believe.

If you like NFL then you should try to watch Playmakers

Well there's this sci-fi programme you've probably never heard of: Firefly...

I'd second the Breaking Bad, Wire, West Wing (also can probably ignore the very last season of that).

West Wing would probably be my all time favourite.

If you're into comedy, the American show Louie (comedian Louie CK) is great. Only onto its second season and you can only get Region 1 box sets.

But if I had to pick as a good all rounder of drama, soap, intelligence and comedy: West Wing.

Well there's this sci-fi programme you've probably never heard of: Firefly...

There's this other sci-fi programme you've probably never heard of .. Battlestar Galactica. Though it's legions of fans would say that it transcends sci-fi and contains allegories to US military interventions overseas.

The good wife..

Unfortunately Rescue Me is only available from Series 1-3 in Europe which is a pain as its a fine series.

There's this other sci-fi programme you've probably never heard of .. Battlestar Galactica. Though it's legions of fans would say that it transcends sci-fi and contains allegories to US military interventions overseas.

So say we all. I'm in the legion, superb series. The Firefly reference was an attempted quip related to the OP and a dark obsession with Capt Mal.

Actually, my Firefly AAM name didn't come from this series at all (sorry to all the fans)...it's just a word I heard once and liked :eek:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0457229/ - Brotherhood is a great show, Irish-American brothers on different sides of the law, based on Whitey Bulger and his politician brother, great performances from Jason Isaacs and Fionnuala Flanagan.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0348914/ - Deadwood was amazing too. About the creation of a new town in the wild west, Ian McShane is superb in it.

best price for brotherhood seems to be on hmv and amazon/play for deadwood, though do check around.

Six Feet Under is probably one of my favourites and unlike the 2 above has a proper finale to the show.

Three more

Damages, legal drama
Justified, Timothy Olyphant as a Federal Marshal.

Chicago Code, excellent cop show but cancelled after one season by Fox :mad:
Like the wire it has a theme of political corruption in the background

ooh been meaning to find Justified

If you didn't see them on BBC4 then the Killing (the original Danish version) or Spiral (French police/legal/political drama) are well worth checking out too.

This thread has cost me money as I've just ordered Our Friends in the North from HMV, great price now as it's been near the £30 for as long as I can remember, now £16.49 including postage.

Back