Which Audi Sportback Engine for weekend driver?

T

tscourfs

Hi. I'm new to this site and all assistance gratefully received.
My wife and I are buying our first car - we live in S.E. London and both take the train to work, so it's a leisure car for weekends only and generally low mileage. However, I want to keep it for when we plan to have a family in 3 years (hence the 5 door sportback.) and since it's a cash buy, I want to ensure it has good residuals.

Budget is about 17-18k for a one year old sportback - I don't want new. However, i'm getting conflicting advice about which engine to get, particularly with the current price of diesel being so much more than petrol. Should I steer clear of the diesel and get a 1.8 TFSI or the 2.0 FSI? There doesn't seem to be a signifcant price difference between the diesels and the petrols? I originally favoured the 2.0 DGS diesel 170ps, but now I fear it might be a white elephant? Please help!

I was, but I saw some useful comments on the A4 on the site and thought someone might be able to help

There are considerations other than the cost of fuel (or even its availability in the current climate in GB)

Traditionally VAG diesels had higher residuals than the petrols, and with a diesel, you will get better fuel consumption. I would expect 50+ from the well-equipped, sporty, torquey 170 Quattro S Line, which would be my personal choice.

Have a look at What Car - [broken link removed]

Back