Whey protein advertised. 19 euros for a tin. Why????

gearoid

I see whey protein advertised by various rugby players on Television for over 19 euros.

When I worked in a co-op twenty years ago it was regarded as a waste product that someone had recently worked out could be sold as animal feed as per the below link.

How come it has now morphed into a highly priced nutritional supplement?

I've talked to someone in the human nutrition area and their belief was that most of it the product is excreted without much effect.

Is it the most expensive, pointless and bizarre product on the market right now?

Bodybuilders and other athletes use it.
Normally it's sold with other stuff mixed in, like various minerals etc.

Marketing makes it expensive. The same logic applies to loads of products, like rolex watches or ipads.

Yeah, I am sure it's quite cheap to produce it, even adding minerals or other substances to it is no big deal. Only marketing makes it expensive, the company has to pay the celebrity and the TV spot and all the other stuff related to advertising the product. I am sure you can buy cheap whey protein for a few euros somewhere else that has the same effect like the expensive one.

Don't know why anyone would want to drink the stuff, my father used to feed it to the pigs and calves.:eek:

to grow muscles, without adding too much fat.
(probably the same reason for feeding it to cattle!)

In that case it would be cheaper to call around to the local farmer and he probably give you a pint or two for free. It reminds me of the nursery rhyme little miss muffet :)

Back