Where were you on 9/11?

liaconn

I was in work and a friend rang to tell me the news. I came off the phone and told everyone and they were all pooh poohing and telling me some one was having me on. Then someone went into the Sky News website and discovered it was true. I remember my first feeling was, shamefully, one of relief that I was right and hadn't been making an eejit of myself.

Working for an American bank in London at the time. Remember the headlines coming across the screen and no-one fully understanding what was going on. I remember the panic of American colleagues who knew people in the WTC. I remember our risk people having heart attacks as emergency plans went into action. Then I remember security advising non essential staff to leave once it was clear it was a terrorist attack.

I remember the streets of London being silent and numb and I remember been back in Dublin a few days later when a minutes silence was held and never seeing anything like it.

Hard to believe it is 10 years ago. Watching some of the programmes over the past week really does remind you of it all. To this day, it still seems sureal though.

Listening to it on the radio as the day went on, trying to calm a couple of staff who had family in NY and one working in Wall Street and they couldn't be contacted, thankfully all ok for them in the end

Listening to the radio and it mentioned a plane crashed into the world trade center. I knew from being in NY, a plane would not fly into one of these buildings by accident. When I heard a second plane had hit, it was obvious something terrible was happening.
Doesn't feel like 10 years.

In Kuala Lumpur airport waiting for a connecting flight to Australia. I remember looking at the tv screens in the coffee bar and thinking this must be some new movie I hadn't heard of! Must have been staring at it for at least a minute before I copped this was real! I can tell you we were pretty edgy passengers on the way from KL to Australia - I was watching every passenger like a hawk! Daft I know but I've never been so nervous flying as that time!

In Carlow Quinnsworth at the till when a little boy came runnign in saying a plane had crashed into a building.....nobody paid that much attention until somebody else ame in saying it was true. I remember getting back to the parents house and realising the full scale and going ice cold.

At work in an office on the Quays in Dublin. Think I got an email from a friend in London as the first alert, I remember going down to the lobby where it was on the TV - probably 50 or 60 people glued to it, not sure I was convinced it was real until I saw the crowd watching the telly. Cant remember if I was watching when the 2nd plane hit but think I'd heard between the first and second ones.

Got an awful sense of foreboding that it was going to be the start of much trouble.... as turned out to be the case.

Didnt know anyone there so it didnt have that personal edge. Cant remember any panic or special arrangements on the day. I know there was some debate at the time as to whether it was appropriate to have a day of mourning - most people (myself included) treated it as an extra bank holiday and went back to the sticks - that said I think it was entirely appropriate to formally mark the occasion given the close links with the USA and the number of Irish & Irish Americans in the emergency services that died that day.

At work. And we were all under shock. Suddenly a colleague of mine erupts "guys, fill your car with petrol tonight because tomorrow the price will rise like hell because of this"... An added shock to the already terrible event...

I was working for a large US consultancy and there was a mad panic in our office. We all pretty much deserted the place and I was glued to Sky News like so many others. It's hard to believe it's been 10 years...I'm sure too that the 10th anniversary was a deadline for getting Bin Laden.

Running a full scale Disaster Recovery test for the company in our DR Site.

Talk about timing.

I was in work and pregnant with my first child so felt extra emotional as it all unfolded thinking of what kind of world my child was coming into. Am still fascinated by any coverage of it.

I had come home from a trip ... and heard something on the news reel via car radio as I was just driving up to my home, I did not fully understand actually I thought I mis-interpreted what was said. I then opened the door went to kitchen turned on kettle had coffee turned on TV hit 501 sky news...and my world changed for ever. What happened on 9/11 definitely changed the world for me, since then travelling, war, stock markets, even people seem different. I am a optimist by the way....just in case...but that's what I recall...just like yesterday...

Maximus
cast a cold eye on life and death, horesman pass by

I was in my office in work, having lunch at the desk. A colleague who had been out to lunch and saw the first TV reports came back and told us what had happened. I put on the radio and we listened all afternoon. If I remember, we were listening to TodayFM who stopped their regular music programming and stayed with their newsroom.

I didn't see the footage until I got home that evening - it was shocking.

We were with a group on a coach in Southern Spain, between hotels. The tour guide was an American lady. Everyone hit the T.V. sets on arrival and stayed in their rooms for most of the coverage that day.

I was in New York that morning. I was walking around a large park (which was a little like the Phoenix Park but not nearly as large) for a few hours. I was killing time as I was due to fly home that afternoon. It wasn't until I left the park that I knew what happened. Needless to say I was stuck in New York for a week, but that wasn't a major problem at the time. I was a witness to the smoke and dust that filled the sky, to thousands and thousands of dust covered people leaving Manahatten, to the army and the airforce presence in and around New York, etc. It is hard to imagine where the last ten years have gone.

I was at my faculty's library studying for an exam the next day. I went to pick some documents to the secretary's office and saw a lot of teachers and students gathered around a small tv set. They were all quiet, until one of the janitor's said we'd rather all go home. I asked him what was going on, and he said that it was World War III ¬_¬

I walked to the bus stop, and saw plenty of cars with the doors open and the radios on. It was surreal.
I caught the bus and for the next hour of journey, no one said a word. We were all listening to the news.

It felt as if it was the end of the world.

I totally failed that exam.

For the record, I shall never do a statistics exam ever again. The day before my Statistics I test, Lady Di died, the day before my Statistics II test was September the 10th 2001. I'm jinxed!

In Morocco of all places. A few Moroccans approached me, asked if I was American, and told me that no arab could have done this. It was all a bit surreal. Other Westerners wondered if we could get home as this would result in war. Strange what fear and shock can do.

All these years later I find the whole rememberance thing strange and more than a bit distasteful. We are bombarded with images of 9/11 and with remembering the 3500 dead, but no similar acknowledgement of the hundreds of thousands, maybe millions who died or had their lives destroyed by the American response to 9/11. There is no equality, even in death. Western lives are clearly more valuable.

Al Queda won in many respects. Our lives have been changed utterly. Security is all-pervasive in the Western world. The body bags continue to return to devastated families from endless wars in the muslim world. Troops return psychologically and often physically maimed. The economic cost of 9/11 has undermined Western dominance of the world, and left us impoverished and debt-ridden. When we remember 9/11 we should remember the folly of it and the true cost of it, not just those who died then, but also all that followed from it.

I shall never do a statistics exam ever again. The day before my Statistics I test, Lady Di died, the day before my Statistics II test was September the 10th 2001. I'm jinxed!
It's statistically unlikely that anything untoward would happen the day prior to you attempting a third exam. Of course 46% of statistics are made up on the spot.

All these years later I find the whole rememberance thing strange and more than a bit distasteful. We are bombarded with images of 9/11 and with remembering the 3500 dead, but no similar acknowledgement of the hundreds of thousands, maybe millions who died or had their lives destroyed by the American response to 9/11. There is no equality, even in death. Western lives are clearly more valuable.

Not sure I would be as cynical as you even if I understand where you are coming from. 9/11 shocked people and shocks people to this day because we can relate to it. Most of us have relatives and friends in NY. Most of us have visited NY. The twin towers was an iconic building. And most of us, it was played out before our eyes on tv.

I don't think anyone likes what has happened in the aftermath but asking people to treat the deaths of people in places like Iraq and Afganistan the same as what they saw on TV from NY is unfair and doesn't mean they value one lost life less than another. Remember many parts of the Arab world won't just not reflect on the horrors of 9/11 but will openly celebrate the event.

Back