Where to store bikes in the garden

Toby

Has anyone found a good solution for storing bikes in the garden

We will eventually have 6 and they'd need to be easily accessable. Thinking a small shed in the front garden maybe. I know you're not meant to put large sstructures in front garden without planning but I see people doing it a lot.

We don't really have space at the back or side for much.

Any clever solutions please? Thanks

consider hanging them..seriously!...do you have a side access with wall...hang them on the wall. Depending on the location of the house (estate etc)...I would not consider a front shed the nicest of ideas..

I was considering a ground anchor, it's a "loop" you sink into the ground and then lock your bike to. They seem to be pretty secure (or at least as secure as the lock you use) and are visually unobtrusive when not in use. They seem pretty reasonably priced too, about €70 as I recall, and it should be possible to fit them yourself if you're handy. If you ring your nearest bike shop they should be able to advise.

Thanks, we are concerned about protecting them from the elements though hence the shed idea.

Is a front shed so bad, we have a tall hedge so would only barely be visible from the road.

You could get a low shed, just tall enough to park the bikes in. Securing the bikes will be a concern though. A number of bikes stored at the front of a property will be a target. The shoplap used on standard sheds can be removed easily enough as it's generally only pinned in place.

We got one of these 2 years ago to protect the family bikes in the back garden. [broken link removed]

It just about fits 2 adult bikes and 2 kids bikes so probably not practical for the number of bikes you have.

It is low (not much taller then the adult bikes) so would be easier to hide in a front garden and can be bolted to the ground and fully locked.

At the time we got it from this Irish company but they seem to be using an Austrian company now and maybe that's an option for you (expensive though)

http://www.dyg.ie/accessories/garden-storage

I'd definitely look into hanging them, with some sort of canopy over to protect from elements and so they aren't completely displayed to the world as a thieving challenge.
Just buying a house at the moment and have yet to consider where i'm fitting my 3 bikes (plus the one GF plans to buy), and any further acquirements.
We have a small shed, but bikes would leave v little room for anything else in there.
Hanging is sounding like a very viable optin for me.
As suggested I'd be thinking in the side passage at a reasonable height (unless you have a lot of width to spare) to not be a huge obstruction; or possibly on one of the garden walls.
Not allowed to post links, but found some interesting ideas by googling

Why are you not allowed to post links?

You can get wooden sheds which are narrow, and door that open up one side. I would get something like that, but bury a security ground anchor perhaps in concrete under it, that comes into the shed so you can chain the bikes to that. Paint the whole thing green and plant in front of it to hide it, if possible.

These are UK based, but I think I've seen similar things here.
http://www.jacksgardenstore.com/garden-storage/bike-storage

Good idea. ;)

I've seen photos of front garden bike shelters in Holland etc. Can't find a good photo of any now.

Why are you not allowed to post links?

You can get wooden sheds which are narrow, and door that open up one side. I would get something like that, but bury a security ground anchor perhaps in concrete under it, that comes into the shed so you can chain the bikes to that. Paint the whole thing green and plant in front of it to hide it, if possible.

Like Leo said, still a newbie :( (nearly at 15 thought)
It wouldn't even let me quote your post fully because there's a link in it

The only issue I would have with those side opening narrow sheds is that you end up stacking bikes - as in you can't get at the one you put in first without taking out all the rest.
This might not be an issue for OP, but for me it'd be a pain to be honest

Last edited:
Toying with the idea of building my own shed for bikes. Space is an issue but do have a side wall. Thinking of building a narrow boxed frame with suitable steel sheeting and have two doors that will slide behind/infront of each other (like in bedroom wardrobes). Then hang the adult bikes on the wall and have the kids bikes at ground level. In my case I need to keep this as narrow as possible.

Should be fun!!

S.

Back