Where to put lump sum that is for the purchase of a family home?

Fyffes

I have €267,000 from the sale of the family home last year after paying off the remainder of the mortgage. This is currently in my solicitors account but can't remain there indefinitely. My partner died 3 months ago so I am awaiting the lump sum life insurance payment of €170,000. He left €50,000 in his will. So I'll have up to €487,000 to buy a house with no mortgage. We weren't married so i have no entitlement to his pension. I'm currently renting with 3 dependants ages 26, 22 and 17 and want to buy the house as security for them
My query is where should i keep this money where I can access it easily enough once a house comes up. Is this a discussion for a financial adviser or does it just go in the current account?
Thanks for any advice

Hi @Fyffes

It sounds like there is a lot of upheaval in your life, on top of three youngish dependents, so well done managing it.

Some pointers for you:

Where to put your money - Background
Given the sums involved you need to be aware of the Deposit Guarantee Scheme. This guarantees that if the bank/institution holding your money gets into trouble, you will get your money back. It is limited to €100,000 per person per bank/institution. There may not appear to be much chance of one of the main Irish Banks (BOI, AIB, PTSB) going bust, but the majority of folk here tend to be cautious and I think its fair to say that the general advice would be to stay under that limit. There is a 6 month temporary high balance cover of €1m allowed for certain events (e.g. domestic property sales etc, more details here) so it covers the money landing in your account for a short period.

The main banks have three offerings:
Current account
- no interest paid, money usually available on demand. Also current accounts (along with linked debit cards) are somewhat vulnerable to scammers etc so they aren't great places to keep large amounts of money for any length of time.
Demand Deposit Account - some interest paid (very low at present in Ireland)
Term Deposit Account - Better interest but your money is tied up for a period. Terms of 6, 12, 18, 24, 36 months are currently available and some of the interest rates are quite decent. (Some, but not all term deposit accounts allow you to take your money out early, but you generally forgo the interest if you do this)
You will find details of the Demand Deposit Accounts here per the link that @Lightening left. And details of the Term Deposit Accounts are here

Another Possibility:
Another option is Prize Bonds from State Savings. These are state guaranteed for up to €250,000 for a sole holder. You must hold them for 3 months minimum, and after that they can be cashed in at any time, a process that usually takes no more than 7-10 days. They don't pay regular interest, but you are in with a chance to win something in the weekly draw.

Timeline
The other thing you need to think about is whether you are prepared to tie the money up for a term. Be realistic in making this decision - will you wait until you receive the insurance payment and the proceeds of the will to buy the house, or buy before that ? If the answer is the former, are you likely to buy and close the contract in 6 months ? 12 months ? 18 months ?

What to Do
So, bearing all that in mind, I'd suggest moving the €267k to an account in your name as soon as opossible, to get it working for you and to avoid any complications should something happen to your solicitor. Then, pretty much immediately, move it to one or more deposit accounts, demand or term depending on your timeline (e.g. €100k each in AIB, PTSB, BOI) or more if prize bonds. If you opt for term deposits or prize bonds, it might be an idea to keep some in a demand deposit account to cover any booking or contract deposit if an opportunity arises quickly.

You will almost certainly get higher interest rates from some of the online deposit takers, Bunq, Raisin, etc, if you are comfortable with that option.

Hope that this makes sense. Feel free to post any follow-up questions you may have .

Sorry for your loss.

In regards to the pension, at the very least query it with the provider. Tell them you were married in everything but name. You have 3 kids together. IF you were taxed together i think that would strengthen your argument also.

Sorry for your loss.
You don't provide much details on your back ground but I found this article interesting...
Journal.ie
Thanks
Yes I had seen this and hopefully this ruling will apply to my situation ( as its pretty much the exact same other than kids are older) but my understanding of this is that it will take time - legislative change - which I'm assuming would be slow. Great to see it though and fair play to the Dad and FLAC for highlighting the need for change

Hi @Fyffes

It sounds like there is a lot of upheaval in your life, on top of three youngish dependents, so well done managing it.

Some pointers for you:

Where to put your money - Background
Given the sums involved you need to be aware of the Deposit Guarantee Scheme. This guarantees that if the bank/institution holding your money gets into trouble, you will get your money back. It is limited to €100,000 per person per bank/institution. There may not appear to be much chance of one of the main Irish Banks (BOI, AIB, PTSB) going bust, but the majority of folk here tend to be cautious and I think its fair to say that the general advice would be to stay under that limit. There is a 6 month temporary high balance cover of €1m allowed for certain events (e.g. domestic property sales etc, more details here) so it covers the money landing in your account for a short period.

The main banks have three offerings:
Current account
- no interest paid, money usually available on demand. Also current accounts (along with linked debit cards) are somewhat vulnerable to scammers etc so they aren't great places to keep large amounts of money for any length of time.
Demand Deposit Account - some interest paid (very low at present in Ireland)
Term Deposit Account - Better interest but your money is tied up for a period. Terms of 6, 12, 18, 24, 36 months are currently available and some of the interest rates are quite decent. (Some, but not all term deposit accounts allow you to take your money out early, but you generally forgo the interest if you do this)
You will find details of the Demand Deposit Accounts here per the link that @Lightening left. And details of the Term Deposit Accounts are here

Another Possibility:
Another option is Prize Bonds from State Savings. These are state guaranteed for up to €250,000 for a sole holder. You must hold them for 3 months minimum, and after that they can be cashed in at any time, a process that usually takes no more than 7-10 days. They don't pay regular interest, but you are in with a chance to win something in the weekly draw.

Timeline
The other thing you need to think about is whether you are prepared to tie the money up for a term. Be realistic in making this decision - will you wait until you receive the insurance payment and the proceeds of the will to buy the house, or buy before that ? If the answer is the former, are you likely to buy and close the contract in 6 months ? 12 months ? 18 months ?

What to Do
So, bearing all that in mind, I'd suggest moving the €267k to an account in your name as soon as opossible, to get it working for you and to avoid any complications should something happen to your solicitor. Then, pretty much immediately, move it to one or more deposit accounts, demand or term depending on your timeline (e.g. €100k each in AIB, PTSB, BOI) or more if prize bonds. If you opt for term deposits or prize bonds, it might be an idea to keep some in a demand deposit account to cover any booking or contract deposit if an opportunity arises quickly.

You will almost certainly get higher interest rates from some of the online deposit takers, Bunq, Raisin, etc, if you are comfortable with that option.

Hope that this makes sense. Feel free to post any follow-up questions you may have .
Thank you for the acknowledgement of the upheaval and the comprehensive advice. Really helpful and appreciated.
I'm definitely risk averse so will probably spread it over the 3 main banks and prize bonds. Thanks for getting me started

Thank you for the acknowledgement of the upheaval and the comprehensive advice. Really helpful and appreciated.
I'm definitely risk averse so will probably spread it over the 3 main banks and prize bonds. Thanks for getting me started
You are very welcome.

One last word, opening a number of accounts, purchasing prize bonds and transferring the money around will require a bit of effort and energy. You'll encounter some frustrating paperwork etc along the way. Do not let it put you off. Just make your mind up to get it done and tackle it head on and get it out of the way as quickly as possible; there is no benefit to you in dragging It out. It's often tempting to prevaricate, especially when dealing with financial services bureaucracy - don't let it happen.

Again, the best of luck with it, and don't be shy about coming back if you meet obstacles or have questions. There is a lot of expertise around here just waiting to assist.

Hi @Fyffes. Sorry for your loss.

As a former pension trustee, I can tell you that in many cases, trustees have a lot of flexibility in terms of where pensions are paid. Trustees are not bound by a will. Many schemes have a death benefit that also doesn't necessarily have to go to a spouse. The trust deed set up for the pension scheme will set the general rules but as mentioned, there is usually flexibility.
Also, don't forget to check a Credit Union as many also have a death benefit for deceased members.

I wish you well.

Hi @Fyffes. Sorry for your loss.

As a former pension trustee, I can tell you that in many cases, trustees have a lot of flexibility in terms of where pensions are paid. Trustees are not bound by a will. Many schemes have a death benefit that also doesn't necessarily have to go to a spouse. The trust deed set up for the pension scheme will set the general rules but as mentioned, there is usually flexibility.
Also, don't forget to check a Credit Union as many also have a death benefit for deceased members.

I wish you well.
Thank you, thats really helpful too

Back