Where to invest - Dublin or outside ?

darraghdog

Hi Folks
I am planning to take the plunge into property as a long-term investment vehicle... 20+ years. Firstly, after long and hard research I have decided to invest locally... somewhere I can manage myself and drive to in a reasonable period of time. I am looking for something in the low to mid 200K ranges, which knocks a lot of Dublin out. I am now contemplating if I should invest in the further suburbs of Dublin, such as Ongar, Clonee etc. - aiming at tennants working in central/west Dublin who want to escape the higher rents. Or the further out towns which have business of there own and some commuters, such as Navan, or possibly Dundalk.
My current thoughts is to go for Dublin, with the thinking that if the economy slows down, most likely the rental market in the outside towns could have more impact... although this is purely speculation.
Is there any seasoned investors who could give me some guidance.
Many Thanks,
Darragh.

Hi Darragh,
If you are in this for the long haul then location will be the most important factor when buying. A small property in a good area is a better bet than a large one in the outer suburbs.

I would recommend look locally (you are going to be a landlord) do not make it difficult for yourself

Then decide what you can afford and see what areas are possible for you to purchase in

Then go onto www.myhome.ie and www.daft.ie

Compare rental achievable and house prices

See what type of yield (basic formula is: rent divided by price) you could get

Weigh up you expectations of yield and capital appreciation and which is more important to you

E.g someone 65 could be more interested in rental income
someone 25 might want a property that will pay for itself but hopefully greatly appreciate in value over the long term

If you are going to go ahead with the investment you need to look at what type of mortgage you are going to use (int only or annuity or a combination)

[email protected]

Hi Guys,
Thanks for your feedback. Purple.. I'm just trying to put the below into context; when you refer to outer suburbs, do you mean Navan would be seen as an outer suburb and it's better to get closer to Dublin, eg. Ongar/Clonee ? or that it's better to get a place near to Navan town centre, than one a distance from Dublin city centre.
Or am I totally off the point.
Thanks again for the feedback,
Darragh.

Purple said:
Hi Darragh,
A small property in a good area is a better bet than a large one in the outer suburbs.

Back