Where to buy a SatNav

I had a garmin. Much prefer a TomTom.
Price for any of those SATNAV's is down to how much function you want on it.
The one I have is higher end and does great stuff.
The lower end ones have services and functions on par with the cost of the unit.
Powercity,Halfords etc..
Everywhere sells them.
As regards price - how much do you want to spend?

Where to buy SatNav

Well..I want to navigate Irish roads first of all, and have spoken directions, good size screen. Maybe option to have European and Australian maps also.
As regards price, I dont really know how much I should be paying (I really know very little about Sat Navs)

I bought one in Argos just before the recent catalogue change and find it good.

The most important thing to remember to check for before buying are the free lifetime map updates.

The one I bought seems to have gone out of the current catalogue but seems similar. In the reference code 2545 LMT the L stands for lifetime maps and the T I understand is for traffic warnings. All the ones with 5 in the reference code appear to stand for 5" screen which seems to be the widest with Garmin.

I think it is only working for Ireland/UK at the moment as I would need a memory card to upload the Western European maps which I am not interested in.

I love the constant speed limit shown on the screen and the updates about speed cameras in the area.

I had a quick look at the Halford site and some of their models seemed older than the Argos ones.

Power City and DID sell them also as do Amazon. I think either DID or Power City do TomTom only.

Make sure to check out the online reviews before you buy and the Argos site may have some for their models - both the Irish and UK site. [broken link removed] is handy for checking stock.

Not sure about your chances of getting Australian maps.

I've heard that there are ones that you can change the voice because I will admit that 'Madge's' voice as we call it would wreck your head. I would put her on a par with 'please remove your items from the bagging area' :mad:

The mistake that we made with our last Garmin was that it did not have the map updates free of charge and they would have worked out as expensive as buying a new one over time.

Do you have a smartphone? if you have, download a satnav app for a couple of euro to see if it is sufficient for your needs. I use skobbler which I find perfectly fine for Ireland, havent used it abroad though.

Garmin's support sucks

I bought a map update for my Garmin - it wouldn't install. After about 10 exchanges of emails where they seemed to deliberately misunderstand the issues they finally said they couldn't do anything for me as I was out of guarantee. Because I had 'opened' the map update they wouldn't give me a credit for my €59. I just gave up at that stage.

I have decided to buy a Garmin SatNav due to the comments I read on another thread here ( Best Sat Nav for use in Ireland.). So, would anybody know a good place to purchase it? As regards price, customer service etc.

I was tempted by a Garmin in Halfords for €89.99, with ROI & European maps. I am currently using a 7 yr old Tom Tom, which is fine for most roads. I have tried to update it but failed and the cost of doing so would go a long way to a new unit. Don't find the Smartphone GPS that useable in car (Samsung Galaxy).

Halfords - buy on-line and you get a discount. I use the garmin nuvi which is very easy to use with clear and easy to follow maps. Works very well, so far...

Do you have a smartphone? if you have, download a satnav app for a couple of euro to see if it is sufficient for your needs. I use skobbler which I find perfectly fine for Ireland, havent used it abroad though.

I got Skobbler also. It's pretty good for just a couple of euro.

Back