Where have the Mods gone??

Status
Not open for further replies.

ney001

Hey, is it just me or is there a lot less contribution from the mods on AAM lately, most notably Clubman, Sue Ellen etc. I find myself frequently getting annoyed at the increase in policing on the site by 'non-mods' - a thread is just about to get interesting and it's diverted onto a topic related to posting guidelines by a normal poster. This is okay in the case of obvious spam etc which is frequently seen on the site but for everything else it's just a bit irritating! Leave it to the Mods I say........wherever they are! ;)

Rant Over!

I find myself frequently getting annoyed at the increase in policing on the site by 'non-mods' - a thread is just about to get interesting and it's diverted onto a topic related to posting guidelines by a normal poster.

I think it's usually harmless enough myself - if no mods are around I don't consider it to be a problem as long as it is done with a reasonable tone.

Better than threads constantly descending into chaos IMO.

I agree that certainly threads can go off on a completely different track, but I just find the frequency of this a bit annoying, no sooner has somebody posted something fairly benign ie not defamatory etc then a poster jumps in with the old posting guidelines or some comment which shuts down discussion altogether. Leave it to the mods guys - it's what they do!

Anyway, maybe it is just me that is getting annoyed by the 'little hitlers' :D

On this to note is that most of the mods don't have moderator in their title. So it may have been a mod anyway.

I think this is in the incorrect forum.....it should be in Letting off Steam.

(Only Joking!!!!! And I still haven't worked out how to do a smiley face...).

Sue Ellen has been around. Clubman not so much so, but Brendan and DrM has been around too.

I would prefer to see posters use the report post facility rather than engaging in free lance modding on the thread.

aj

I would prefer to see posters use the report post facility rather than engaging in free lance modding on the thread.

aj

Maybe you could form a union. A union of mods. MUI? Then together stamp out this nasty infiltration of non-mods trying to do mod jobs. ;)

aj

Yep, this pretty much sums up what I think. Too many indians and not enough chiefs!!

Yep, this pretty much sums up what I think. Too many indians and not enough chiefs!!

I take AJ's & ney's point alright but I think there is sometimes a fine line between 'wannabe modding' and simply advising/being helpful.

I mean, is it out of order to remind posters that we can't talk about medical issues or that there is a ban on public sector bashing? I don't think so generally. It's a bit OTT to actually 'report' such posters if that is the only alternative - no?

then a poster jumps in with the old posting guidelines or some comment which shuts down discussion altogether. Leave it to the mods guys - it's what they do!

Anyway, maybe it is just me that is getting annoyed by the 'little hitlers' :D

I have noticed the marked reduction in mod input. A few months back I was getting somewhat frustrated by my perception of sometimes heavy handedness by mods on posters for which might be seen by some as minor infractions. ( I even got a non expiring penalty point for voicing this too loudly ) . However I now find it increasingly frustrating when posters start threads that have been repeated before, sometimes the same type of question asked several times over the same day, without searching or taking a serious thread wayyyy off topic. I also admit to having pointed out the posting guidelines a few times. (mea maxima culpa) I hope I don't start growing a toothbrush moustache :D. I'm sure the mods have enough to do trying to earn a living than reading loads of reports on posters, might not a bit of self-regulation be ok?

If you are missing the attention, write something libelous. Brendan seems very attached to his house for some reason...

;)

Wanna be mods grate me a bit aswell but nothing major. It is good that we are fairly "self-regulated".

I haven't really noticed the lack of mods, AJ is around often and the Chief is usually here.

I think where the likes of medical issues are mentioned, all regular users of AAM know the rules about medical issues, if someone posts something medical related just ignore it until a mod sees it and makes a decision. The same with advertising etc, posters are immediately jumping on the bandwagon, telling poster no advertising - this to me is again a clear case of report the post or wait until mod removes it - normal posters do not need to comment on every little infringement!

I used the report post once for a spammer and got a reply telling me not to report obvious spam because it wastes mod time. I don't use it anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back