Where have all the wallpaper shops gone ?

battyee

Have scoured Dublin Southside for wallpapers. Atlantic (Stillorgan) has closed, Homebase have a tiny range (mostly anaglypta), B&Q have a much smaller range than before, Wigoders (Dun Laoghaire) have closed down & even Stillorgan Decor Centre now only sell from very expensive pattern books to special order.I gave up altogether yesterday, postponed the decorators until the end of January & ordered on the web from the USA. Prices even when carriage was added came to approx. 50% of prices from pattern books in Ireland. Just hope that they come up to expectation when they arrive via DHL & that I am not faced with major import charges.
Are the Irish all painting their walls or have wallcoverings gone out of fashion here ?

There's a shop on Talbot Street, opposite the Tea Time Express bakery, that has what seems to be a quite a large selection. Sorry, don't know the name of the shop though.

Have scoured Dublin Southside for wallpapers. Atlantic (Stillorgan) has closed, Homebase have a tiny range (mostly anaglypta), B&Q have a much smaller range than before, Wigoders (Dun Laoghaire) have closed down & even Stillorgan Decor Centre now only sell from very expensive pattern books to special order.I gave up altogether yesterday, postponed the decorators until the end of January & ordered on the web from the USA. Prices even when carriage was added came to approx. 50% of prices from pattern books in Ireland. Just hope that they come up to expectation when they arrive via DHL & that I am not faced with major import charges.
Are the Irish all painting their walls or have wallcoverings gone out of fashion here ?

Personally I wouldn't be bothered with wallpaper - a lot of people I know feel the same way. Can't remember the last time I've seen wallpaper in a house occupied by the under 60s TBH.

I think I have heard of the Gerry Keane shop in Talbot Street. It seems to be one of the very few left & none at all are on the Southside.
It seems that Caveat may have it right & my decorating tastes are old fashioned particularly as most of what I ordered came from the Laura Ashley & Ralph Lauren ranges.

Personally I wouldn't be bothered with wallpaper - a lot of people I know feel the same way. Can't remember the last time I've seen wallpaper in a house occupied by the under 60s TBH.

Its fashionable at the moment to wallpaper a feature wall, and then paint the other walls

Caveat, where have you been for the last two years? It definitely came back into fashion- but very modern striking geometric patterns in bold colours- perhaps on one feature wall etc. I find the best place to source items like this are good interior design shops where you will find the really modern wallpaper and fabrics. What you will find in Homebase or Woodies or the likes is mainly old fashioned and derivative but not recent.

Having said all of that I'm not mad about it myself, but have wallpapered one room recently.

not mad about it either but have seen it make a come back on a feature wall s outlined above.... stripes appear to be in.

I wouldn't put it up all the same as I can recall my father stripping down wall paper to paint walls & it took some of the layers of old paint off - the walls looked patchy as a result.

Was watching that show on RTE the other night (the one where two interior designers compete in similar houses). each of them put it up.... and one particular paper cost €200 a friggin role!!!!

Was watching that show on RTE the other night (the one where two interior designers compete in similar houses). each of them put it up.... and one particular paper cost €200 a friggin role!!!!

I seen that too and literally almost slid of my seat....ridiculous price ...and horrible at that!! I paid €50 per role in Laura Ashley and thought it was very very expensive.

I don't suppose the 'bubble 'n' crease with gaps' look is going to come into fashion anytime soon?

Caveat, where have you been for the last two years?

...in an isolated rural backwater obviously :eek:

But yes, I am aware of wallpaper being the new wallpaper...or something... but I still haven't seen much evidence of this.

Some of the modern stuff is nice I admit but as with most bold or patterned decor, the appeal can fade. And then try taking the bloody stuff down - seriously, probably my most hated DIY job.

Try www.tektura.co.uk I bought stuff off them, was very good quality and free delivery, you can have free A4 samples sent to you too before buying

No affil

I saw that too! Ridiculous!

There's a shop called Silk Road in the Malahide Road Industrial estate (coolock) that have literally hundreds of different types of wallpaper.
Some of them are pricey enough but they look class!

Wigoders (Dun Laoghaire) have closed down

Found this out the hard way myself grr, altho the other branch on the southside appears to be still open according to www.wigoders.com

postponed the decorators until the end of January & ordered on the web from the USA. Prices even when carriage was added came to approx. 50% of prices from pattern books in Ireland.

What site did you use?

Steevo said:
There's a shop called Silk Road in the Malahide Road Industrial estate (coolock) that have literally hundreds of different types of wallpaper.

Was out looking for this myself but couldn't find it :eek: - will try again.

Back