Where does my garden end?

S

Starfish4

Hi all,

There is a wall at the end of my garden, but apparently there is a metre or so of space on the other side of the wall which is also part of my property. Quite a few of my neighbours are in the same position and have moved their wall back to reclaim the space. How can I check for sure where my boundary is? I don't have a copy of the deeds, or any maps that might have been with them...

Many thanks

Starfish

Contact the solicitor who bought the house for you. S/he may still have the Land Reg maps in the office depending on how long ago you bought. Otherwise the solicitor can get copies from the Land Reg, although there will be charges.
Sybil

Starfish 4,

Your neighbours seem to be engaged in something that may amount to adverse possession and may or may not infringe on registered title or a private right of way.

The wall you refer to may be the built boundary, but as an adjoining owner you may have rights to pass and repass over land outside this wall, assuming yor neighbours's assertions are correct.

Ironically your neighbours' actions in claiming what may have been a right-of-way may in fact limit you exercising your rights over the same right of way, should you in fact have any such rights.

Normally there is accord amongst the neighbours when something like this is done, but it should be done correctly, legally with deeds of rectification, to avoid problems that may arise at sell on with a flawed title document.

ONQ.

[broken link removed]

All advice on AAM is remote from the situation and cannot be relied upon as a defence or support - in and of itself - should legal action be taken.
Competent legal and building professionals should be asked to advise in Real Life with rights to inspect and issue reports on the matters at hand.

I'm in the same boat but other way around. My neighbour wants to extend his wall back one metre, but if he does he will be blocking me in (I am in the middle and he is at the side). Ive looked at the plans and the boundary shows it belongs to him, but his wall is also marked on the plans which is one metre back. My wall goes back one metre longer than his as I have to be able to get out the back with bins etc. He is saying that because on the plans it shows the full boundary is his he's entitled to build the wall one metre back. There is no reference to right on way on the plans. Can he do this, extend his wall back one metre, thus blocking me in?

I don't know, your description isn't clear.

I'd have to see the plans and be briefed on the booklet of title by your solicitor.

Even then, there could be other factors affecting what he can and cannot do, the Land Conveyancing Law Reform Act 2009 for one thing.

FWIW

ONQ.

[broken link removed]

All advice on AAM is remote from the situation and cannot be relied upon as a defence or support - in and of itself - should legal action be taken.
Competent legal and building professionals should be asked to advise in Real Life with rights to inspect and issue reports on the matters at hand.

Back