Where can one buy an LP player nowadays?

sabre Man

I'd like to transfer my old LPs to my computer, but my old LP player doesn't have the right connections, so I'm considering buying a new one. Does anyone know where to buy them, and roughly how much it will cost?

They have them in HMV as well. Its an awful lot of trouble to go to though. You'd be much better off just downloading the tracks you like. No point in spending hours transferring your vinyl to your pc and listening to crackly mp3's.

Maybe he won't be listening to them in that format Niallman. He might just want to burn them onto CD. sabre Man - I've successfully done this without having to buy a USB Turntable. At worst you might need an external soundcard (maybe €60 tops) but if your PC has a half decent soundcard then all you'll be talking about is a cable costing about €5-8. PM me if you want more details.

I'd like to transfer my old LPs to my computer, but my old LP player doesn't have the right connections, so I'm considering buying a new one. Does anyone know where to buy them, and roughly how much it will cost?

Could you not cut and splice the speaker cables with a normal (earphone socket type) speaker cable ?

pretty sure Argos does one - you can convert your LPs and tapes into mp3.
I'll look it up later and post it if I find it.

Maybe he won't be listening to them in that format Niallman. He might just want to burn them onto CD. sabre Man - I've successfully done this without having to buy a USB Turntable. At worst you might need an external soundcard (maybe €60 tops) but if your PC has a half decent soundcard then all you'll be talking about is a cable costing about €5-8. PM me if you want more details.

Not possible with out the right connection on his current turntable. Besides a CD of an old LP recorded on less than poor equipment never going to be the same quality of a CD. Unless these are rare LP's then it much less hassle just to go buy the CDs 2nd hand in local shops or on the net. Alternatively you'd probably pick up an older used 3in1 system for next to nothing that would have the right connections. For the price of the USB one I reckon with a bit of patience you could pick up a low end used HiFi seperates deck, and amp with all the connections you want. If you don't want to bother with all of that the Sony Shops still sell a low end LP deck.

[broken link removed]

There was some gadget advertised in the catalogue that comes with the Irish Times for converting LPs into something else. I can't remember if it was CDs or MP3s.

Brendan

if his turntable or amp has a headphone port then he can transfer the sound out of there with that cheap cable aircobra19. I've done it myself from a headphone port but had to get an external soundcard to get the sound into my laptop. You're right though you're never gonna get the same quality sound as a pre-recorded CD. I've used it on a vinyl bootleg and reckon that at least half of my tape collection would not be available commercially anymore. It's a time consuming process but with the software I used (audacity) you have the option to record at 78rpm and then edit in 33rpm mode. Speeds the whole thing up a bit.

Thanks everybody for your suggestions.

The reason for transferring the music to the computer is that a lot of stuff simply is not available anymore, and I want to burn compilation CDs and MP3s.

Fair enuff. I do the same with my old cassettes onto HiMD.

Guess you need to buy a Vinyl deck so....

My understanding has always been that with the right equipment an LP actually offers superior sound to a CD. A CD is a sampled piece of music no?

Theres probably a few hundred thousand threads on that subject on audio forums across the world. Not sure if that helps sabre man though.

My understanding has always been that with the right equipment an LP actually offers superior sound to a CD. A CD is a sampled piece of music no?

There is a theory among audiophiles that as an LP recording is analog rather than the digital type on CD that the sound is more 'rounded' or 'warmer'. This has to do with compression of the digital format and also that this less clinical sound is allegedly meant to represent a truer sound.

Dunno myself, but I do have fond memories of buying a new vinyl album. I always thought the sleeves were far nicer in the larger format rather than the truncated versions on a CD.

In fairness http://www.harlem.org/itunes/index.html

IMO You'll have to have a very good Vinyl rig to come close to a decent budget CD player. Vinyl sounds different to CD, that doesn't always mean its superior. The quality of the mastering of Vinyl but especially modern CD's varies a lot so thats also a factor. The Redbook part of Hybrid SCAD are often better in this regard. I should qualify all of that by saying my own experience is low end HiFi gear, so I'm not an audiophile.

Back