Where can I get information on road conditions?

Brendan Burgess

Founder
I was planning to drive to Cork today but have woken up to a blanket of snow.

Little mention of it on RTE. They spoke mainly about roadworks and delays.

Met Eireann mentions snow but not road conditions.

TODAY - Friday 1st March
Rain, sleet and snow in Ulster and north Leinster will move southwards across the rest of the country through the day, falling mostly as rain by this afternoon, except on higher ground. Hail and isolated thunderstorms are possible too.

My departure time is flexible.

Brendan

Once you get to the motorway network road surfaces should be fine Brendan.
Can't speak regards to Dublin suburban roads though.
As you travel south the precipitation should be rain only.

Once you get to the motorway network road surfaces should be fine Brendan.
I wouldn’t be so sure.

Snow is so rare in Ireland there isn’t really the infrastructure for clearing it.

I live in Dublin and would only walk to the office today. Traffic will be gridlocked and hazardous for anyone on two wheels.

To answer your question Twitter/X is probably most likely to have photos of conditions if you do some searches.

The 8.30 traffic update from RTE was completely different.

Significant traffic disruption due to snow and gridlock in some places - but mainly in the northern half of the country.

Brendan

Hmm. Things Sem to have changed a lot since the early forecast I heard.
If he's not too busy with his real job @carlowweather on X/Twitter can be very informative on days like this.

On Twitter Live Drive has random updates such as

Major issues at J13 Dundrum, traffic on the on-ramp to the M50 northbound can't get up the hill due to poor weather conditions. The road is blocked and drivers are now abandoning their cars

https://twitter.com/LiveDrive

My best estimate from compiling all the different sources is there will be rain by this afternoon & that will clear most of it.

I find the Apple Weather app very accurate, just a nuisance having to input a selection of intermediate points to build up a picture of the entire route. The demise of AA Roadwatch was a terrible loss. TII are in the process of building an app but it sounds like it will be heavily over engineered.

Regretfully a days snow shows up a lot of dumb drivers and there is gridlock in many places. It's not so much dangerous conditions as alleged drivers who should stay at home.

How is Waze different from Google Maps. I had a quick look at it and it looks the same.
Waze is better for live info only in areas where there are a lot of users. Outside of cities, not so much. My French dil was shocked when trying to navigate in Donegal that there was only one road option

Driving to Cork is one thing. What about getting back? There is a risk of frost/ice after dark. With the amount of precipitation today, all roads will be effectively untreated.

Driving to Cork is one thing. What about getting back? There is a risk of frost/ice after dark. With the amount of precipitation today, all roads will be effectively untreated.
We certainly can't keep him in Cork.

Waze is better for live info only in areas where there are a lot of users. Outside of cities, not so much. My French dil was shocked when trying to navigate in Donegal that there was only one road option
Google tracks a shed load more than waze..

Back