When will alcohol and tobacco be banned?

why are the Irish public still allowed to make their own decisions on alcohol and tobacco?

Because tobacco and alcohol generate massive revenue for the government.

The head shop ban is only on some products - still plenty of legal highs out there.

You forgot chocolate, sweets, fizzy drinks, coffee,deodorants, household cleaners, tv's, buses, trains, automobiles......and so on.
Your list is far too restrictive!

From the article
Minister Carey said.

"Young people who have been using these substances have died as a result."
Which of the substances have been responsible for deaths? Does anyone know of any deaths of from use of these products where alcohol hasn't been a factor?

Noticed that one myself umop3p!sdn, no doubt there is NO proof.

Its a victory for gangland, back to meeting shady characters in dark alleyways for REAL drugs.

Top Tip for head shop owners:

Import gin that's been relabelled 'shower gel'.
That way the government will have to ban gin.

Do the same for other products.

Tobacco kills thousands in Ireland every year and there is no "high" from it. Even alcohol will make you drunk.
Tobacco was the biggest killer in the 20th Century (including the 2 World Wars) and still it is peddled because the tax take is so high. Every now and then there are a few government warnings about cigarettes and tobacco but if the government were to be truely honest, they have no interest in reducing peoples dependence on them.

Also, I would say that 99% of smokers start before they turn 18.

Make every thing legal and regulate it. Freedom of choice. There, I said it.

Make every thing legal and regulate it. Freedom of choice. There, I said it.

I'd run with that as long as there was a specially formulated 'aptitude test' that people had to pass before they could exercise this freedom of choice. Some people are just too stupid to be allowed to choose for themselves.

Then those who didn't pass could have a microchip inserted behind their left ear which would be picked up by a scanner in the drug of choice shop.

And they could be allowed resit the test once a year. Maybe we could set up a state school that they could attend on saturdays to be taught reason and consequence. To be paid for, but we could let them claim tax relief on the lower band.

Damn, should have entered irelands call competition thingy.

.................... To be paid for, but we could let them claim tax relief on the lower band. ............

Sage words indeed Vanilla. But surely we should have a hash tax. Let's say €0.10 per quarter. And a few cents on a packet of Rizlas. And a total ban drugs in the Dail.

Some people are just too stupid to be allowed to choose for themselves.

Then those who didn't pass could have a microchip inserted behind their left ear which would be picked up by a scanner in the drug of choice shop.

I was thinking more along the lines of anybody who is over 18 and who is not already intoxicated. You know the type of regulation that applies to alcohol. But there's something in the microchip idea :D

I am actually disappointed in Fine Gael over this whole thing. They are supposed to be the party of individual rights and responsibilities but FG campaigned outside headshops to take away those very same rights.

hmmmm, this argument that many people break the law and get away with it so why not get rid of the law altogether - isnt the point that the law is a deterrant and that what is needed is enforcement not abandonment.

If we got rid of speed limits would the death toll drop? Many pay some heed to them and that saves lives.

Many dont want to buy drugs from criminals but are happy to pay excise duty on a pint (alcohol doesnt NECESSARILY harm you - only if you go overboard and become addicted). With our experience of alcohol do you really think we'd have a better country if anyone could drop in to a head shop (or whatever distribution network you'd advocate) and fire up their crack pipe????

Smokers are fools, drug buyers are tools, drinkers need to keep their heads on ... there, I said it.

- isnt the point that the law is a deterrant

Only to the law abiding. Prime time reports and documentaries on criminals (along with newspaper articles etc.) conclusively show that criminals don't give a damn about the law. Look at the pictures in the papers of criminals with their middle fingers raised - that's what they think of the law.

Funnily enough, many bankers and politicians have the same attitude towards the law...

Some city councillor was on this morning about how those addicted to headshop products are going to manage now without them. That's something the governmernt or those calling for their closure did not consider.

Did ye see the report that skin cancer cases have increased dramatically (70% or something), mainly in the 60-70 age group. These were people who were ignorant of the effects of the sun on fair skin when sunbathing in the 1960s/1970s. I remmeber people using cooking oil as a tanning agent in the 70s! I eckon we should ban sunbathing altogether, or ban the sun. Where is Mary H when you need her, she was on the right lines with the sunbeds thing!:D

Bring back the Nannystate, I say, and save us from ourselves!

Some city councillor was on this morning about how those addicted to headshop products are going to manage now without them. That's something the governmernt or those calling for their closure did not consider.

Typical, people go off and screw them up on this **** and then EXPECT us to sort them out cos they "are sick" . Moaning........... I'm sick.........no treatment centres.........no help...........no ****.

Rant almost over.............................

secman

Typical, people go off and screw them up on this **** and then EXPECT us to sort them out cos they "are sick" . Moaning........... I'm sick.........no treatment centres.........no help...........no ****.
The same thing happens with fags and booze. So when are they going to be banned?

Too many TD's are publicians and tobacco companies are, I presume, generous to political parties at election time so the answer is? Never

The same thing happens with fags and booze. So when are they going to be banned?

Too many politicans are publicians and cigarette companies are, I presume, generous to political parties at election time so the answer is? Never

Back