When to apply for med card?

serotoninsid

Hi. My med card expires Oct. 2012 (I assume that's inclusive of the complete month - as it just states Oct. 2012 on the card re. expiry).

I've heard and read of issues with getting through the application process. When should I put in an app? i.e. how soon ahead of October should it go in to ensure continuity of cover?

They will automatically send you a renewal form at least a month before ie early September.
At present there is no appreciable delay in dealing with applications/ renewal forms.

If you prefer you can phone them any time earlier than September to confirm above.

They will automatically send you a renewal form at least a month before ie early September.
At present there is no appreciable delay in dealing with applications/ renewal forms.

If you prefer you can phone them any time earlier than September to confirm above.
ok, thanks for that - much appreciated.

I've just been checking out citizensinformation.ie - and the guidelines re. how this (eligibility) is determined. It's looking very borderline. Consequently...a couple of questions arising - which someone hopefully will be able to assist with;

Expenses - Housing
It says that there is "no exact definition of what 'reasonable expenses' actually means in relation to housing."

Will they include my complete mortgage payment at the time of application? Will they deduct mortgage interest relief from that? I have a small loan for home improvements - separate from my mortgage. Would this form part of this calculation or be disregarded?

Calculation of Income
It says that...."Weekly income limit (gross, less tax, Universal Social Charge and PRSI)"

If I have AVC's, is it a case these are NOT deducted from income - for the purposes of the eligibility calculation?

Any insight into the above would be most welcome.

Back