when the beneficiary to somebodys will dies??

laubrookes

My elderly grandmother had a house worth £300,000 an isa with 26-28,000 and was receiving two pensions one her state pension. The other her late husbands my grandfathers work pension. In 2005 my father who was out of work and his new wife also not in employment, Found themselves without anywhere to live they had spent 12 years living abroad and it was financed by my fathers recent payout from retirment from the police for £36.000 my father was renowned for being terrible with money and with two divorces behind him and no job and no pension to live out his days. He soon came knocking on his elderly mothers door.
His only other sister had died a few years before leaving three children. My father had three children himself.

I was living with my nan at the time my father moved in. She had fallen ill and i had been looking after her. She was very good to me and i in turn did her housework cooked shopped and generally looked after my nan as a grandaughter should. When my father moved in. I was told to leave and i was not needed anymore. His wife made it impossible for any of the other grandchildren to visit our nan. It was a very worrying time. As we couldnt get access to the house to see her. On the few occassions we saw her she would wispear that she was scared of them. Now all tge granchildren had been aware that our little old lovely nanna had a will. And she had promised the 6 of her grandchildren an equal share of what she had saved in the bank.
Of course we never wanted her money and rather she enjoyed it to herself. And the thought of losing her one day would deveste us all.

Now there was a lot of change happening to the house over a couple of years. Which was very suspisious. New fitted bathrooms with walk in shower and £800 Bath ( which my nanna would never of been able to use) state of the art kitchen brand new couches fitted wardrobes decking in the back garden.etc. all of which my nanna had never had and more importantly would never of wanted.

Next my nan made a fone call to her cousin to say she had to put my fathers name on the deeds for the house because he needed to remortgage the house to pay for the improvments. That him and his new wife had insisted doing.
Then another call. Im having to change my will or they have threatend to put me in a home if i dont.
Then out of the blue a fone call from my father were moving to a bungelow heres our new address.
My nan had lived in that house for nearly 60 years. And now she was being moved and her house was being sold.
They bought a bungelow and put it in my father and his new wifes name.
Now my nan had apparently made a new will making my father sole benificiary. No one knows if this is true just his wife said to us.And my dad made a will making his wife sole benificiary to anything he had.
Next minute my dad was in hospital gravely ill. And my nanna was carted off to a care home. My father passed away
And my nana is still in this home.
She has no money because his wife receives her pension. We as a family have been investigating since my fathers death and found that my nannas bank accounts are empty and her money from her house was sold to buy my fathers new house which his wife still lives in. She hasnt got a penny to her name. Everything she every worked for gone. But with my father passing away. His new wife is under the impression. That everything my nanna had would eventually go to her. Social services have asked if nan can go home but she refused to have her. We are really stuck as a family as what we can do. We despeartly need to help our nanna. Any advice would be gratefully received thanks

Sorry to read of the complex family situation, but as this is an Irish consumer site you may not have access to the knowledge and information you need.

The little bit I can suggest is that the rules for a person making a will with a solicitor is they and they alone meet with the solicitor to write up a will and so your Nan might not have wrote the will as desired by her son. Also the way you suggest how your son has behaved should be brought to the attention of authority's,her pension is hers and hers alone. Since your Nan is in a home you could visit her there and find out what she wants to do.

Your Nan's will makes no difference if all the money is gone before she passes on, which by the sounds of it is what has happened. I think you should engage with a solicitor and get some proper advice.

Back