when should timing belt be done?

blueshoes

hi,

i am about to change my car again, the car im looking at has 62,000 miles on it.

I asked the guy selling it about the timing belt when does it need doing.
He said oh between 50 and 60k. He said that the garage would do it if it needed to be done. He's confused me surely if he said between 50 and 60k they would do it.

Should i insist on it been done before i hand over money? Just out of curosity how much is a timing belt if anyone knows?

Thanks Blue.

Not a mechanic, but my understanding most timing belts need to be replaced at around 60k miles. I'd insist that they do it before you buy. Expensive to replace, due to time it takes to change it rather than the cost of the parts.

BM

boyf just got his replaced on recommendation from a mechanic, cost 600euro, but if it had "gone" it would cost a hell of a lot more to fix.

There are some RIDICULOUS quotes out there for replacnig a TB. Madness really! I rang around last year for quaotes. Ranged from €400-€600 in Cork city and county. Got it done in West Limerick (Where the wife is from) together with a full service (and I mean a full service) for €250. Make sure you price around.

Sorry for the rant! Do agree that you should get it done before buying though.

If he does agree to do it , make sure he changes the peripherals bits at the same time - tensioner & idler roller, also waterpump if it is driven dirctly off the t/belt. Failure of any one of these items can strip or jump the t/belt and thrash the engine as well.

When it needs to be done depends on the make and model of the car. If you get it done in an authorised dealer you'll be charged for about 4 hours labour, parts are cheap enough. Definitely dont take car unless done as if it goes it'll cost you a small fortune. Good luck with it!

i got my belt replaced and front discs and pads done for 300 euro this included parts and work by a local man who works at cars in his spare time, so clearly the message is stay away from garages there are plenty of guys who will do as good a job as any garage ,and at a fraction of the cost
ps the car was a renault scenic

hi, tanx for the info.

i am picking the car up monday and the salesman has told me that it will be ready.

But the timing belt doesnt need replacing till 100,000. the car is a 1.4diesel. does anyone know if this is true in the case of a diesel car?

i have also rang another dealer to check and he also told me 100,000

Read the manual. Some cars don't have a timing belt anymore but have a chain instead. The average mileage is 60k but not all are the same. Consult the manual and if it isn't confirmed here ring a main dealer.

What year is the car? Theres usually a time element involved as well,60,000 miles or every 4 years.I wouldn't move it an inch without it being done.I'd agree with frank on this one,plenty of cars out there!!

hi,

well, i got the car yesterday and the garage he is a main dealer assured me it was near 100,000 again. so i left it at that.

I rang another dealer to check and see was he just trying not to do it and this dealer also told me 100,000.

Caff the car is a 02 1.4 turbo diesel

Back