When is Social Welfare payments pre-populated into Form 11 ?

Jordan Belfort

Just starting my tax return but notice there is no social welfare data pre-populated. Does anyone know how far into the year it usually goes before this data is added.

Mine was prepopulated, but as I had calculated how much I had received for the year, I noticed the prepopulated figure was less. Less by the amount of additional weekly payments I received in 2023. I just updated the prepopulated figure to the total I received. Hope that's helpful

There seems to be a lot of confusion as to whether some, or all, of the additional payments were taxable or not

What additional payments are you talking about?

If the DSP did not include them in the figures sent to Revenue, this would seem to indicate that they are non-taxable

Last edited:
In the case of the state pension, there were 2 additionals above the 52 wks. The xmas double payment and 1 other.

The Christmas bonus is taxable

What was the second double payment?
Was it an early payment for january payment?

The Christmas bonus is taxable

What was the second double payment?
Was it an early payment for january payment?
The recent payment in January was another double payment- like the one for Christmas. And it is taxable as well.

In reviewing a relatives payment against the pre populated total over 7 or 8 years the total has only ever matched once. Some years it appears to be a timing issue. There are usually 2 double payments in December one of them the Xmas bonus the other hits on Xmas week which covers the last week in December and the first week of January.

It can be hard trying to decide what is taxable or not if working off a bank statement. In 2022 there were two non taxable carers grant payments made.

It would probably make things a lot easier for most if social welfare was taxed at source and treated similar to PAYE income. This business of reducing tax credits is only a work around really.

That would make the DSP responsable for collecting income tax, PRSI and USC

And for handling refunds and rebates - I don't think that would end well

That would make the DSP responsable for collecting income tax, PRSI and USC

And for handling refunds and rebates - I don't think that would end well
Given every employer in the country does it I don't see what is to be feared. Social welfare is not subject to USC or PRSI in any case.

Revenue do not trust the data DSP provides them. Form 11 is just pre filled with the data. But when completing the MyAccount SOL Revenue will display the display the DSP values and specifically required the amount to be confirmed as correct, before you can move to the next step.

Back