Wheel Tracking/Alignment Dilema

eggerb

I am getting four new tryes and in a dilema as to whether to get the wheels tracked. Three years ago I was in the same position and ended up having a lot of grief after having them tracked as it was way off in the First Fit branch I went to and they subsequently did it at another branch and sorted it, or so I thought. I posted about it at the time here.

Three years later, there is uneven wear on the tyres but I haven't felt a pull. I need to put four new tyres on.

Should I bother getting the tracking done? Should I trust the likes of Fast Fit? If not, who?

I am putting on the same make and size of tyre with one exception - I am putting on V rated instead of W rated. I am not speeding in it anymore as I am three years wiser/getting old/drive the family car at weekends.

Cheers.

3 years is a long time for tracking, are all your joints good? have it done it will save you a fortune in tyre wear. bear in mind that the set up is crude by resting the reference on the rims and different dealers will get different readings.

Fast Fit did the tracking for me when I last put on run flat tyres, their equipment was state of the art, I didn't like the costs to get it done and finally agreed a price.

Tracking can not last long if great care is not excercised when driving and that is hard with the state of our roads, potholes, ramps etc all making it easy to get out of line.

I tracked my front wheels last year using a spirit level and measuring tape.

I got it relatively good and the tires are not wearing too much.

Thanks for the replies everybody. Might be best to get it done. Hopefully it doesnt end up worse!

My tyre guy in Limerick does tracking for €25 - 40, I have always been satisfied with the work.
My front tyres wore a little more on the outsides so I upped the pressure to 36 PSI (upper limit, full load) and it seems to suit better.

Back