Whats wrong with RTÉ's pronunciation.

A

ajapale

A letter in today's IT consists of a rant against pronunciaton in RTÉ. I must say that while I find plenty of things to complain about in RTÉ pronunciation is not one of them.

Specifically the writer complains about:
1. News pronounced as nooze...(fair enough, I find that irritating)
2. RTÉ pronounced Orr Tee Eee instead of Ar Tee Eee... (personally I pronounce it R as in Ordination and not R as in This post will be deleted if not edited to remove bad language).
3. Portlaoise pronounced without the final syllable (Every one I know including those from that fine burg do not sound the final 'e'.

Added to which: my own rant:
I cant spell Dun Laoghaire, I can only pronounce Dun Laoghaire when I'm speaking Irish. Dunleary is good enough for the people who live there and its good enough for me.

I knew some people who referred to Kingstown, Queenstown, Marborough and Phillipstown. (for two marks give them their new names)

A few more to ponder over is it CastleRee or CastleRay in Co Roscommon? Is the football team Derry City or is it Dairy City. Is it Irish Ferries or Irish Furries?

I suppose people are entitled to pronounce words what ever way they please. Including those poor presenters and journalists out in Montrose.

ajapale

I really don't care how they pronounce Castlerea or Portlaoise (a friend who lives in Castlerea proncounces it cashelree).

What does bother me is the extensive use in the News of abbreviations like "Won't" and "Can't". There is absolutely no reason not to use the full word, especially when "can't" is so easily mistaken for "can" unless you are listening closely, and will give an entirely different meaning to the sentence in which it is used.

Whats wrong with RTÉ's pronunciation.

..is is not a case of 'what they are saying, not how they are saying it' that's important...

ninsaga

For some reason it drives me nuts when they pronounce secretary as "secetry" rather than sec-re-tary

"The Secetry of State..."

and . . .

. . . and Bryan Dobson says ariculture for agriculture - where's the "g" gone!!

Honestly I don't give a rat's ass how they pronounce anything.

-Rd

Re: and . . .

AJP

Phillipstown = Daingean, Co Offaly
Kingstown = Dun Laoghaire Co Dublin
Queenstown = Cobh, Co.Cork
Marborough = Portlaoise, Co Laois

Whre do I claim my prize?

One of the mispronunciations which really gets my goat is "certaintly" i.e. adding a redundant T to the word "certainly."
If I remember correctly, Charlie Bird is a major offender in this case.

Grrrr.

Re: .

Nat,
you can pick up the prize at 'Newtown Sandes' today at 6:00pm.

daltonr,

Im sorry that you couldnt give a rodent's donkey about pronounciation perhaps you meant a rat's bottom? Ahh those dropped r's

ajapale

They pronounce too many " 000 "s when they go to director general / taxpayer looking for a pay rise.

An awful lot is wrong with it...most notably OOOOAAAR TE rather than AR TE being the most niggling and:

Tirty tousand (thirty thousand)
Matt-chew (Matthew)
fanance (Finance)
doiling (dialing)

Another notable RTEism is referring to Irish Time. What's that? Has a new time zone been created especially for Ireland? Or is it that they patronizingly think that the listenership would not understand what Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) is?

I wonder will this provoke a response from AAM's resident self-styled RTE propaganda spokesperson who seems to lurk in this forum....

All the broadcasters are guilty of the following but Maaaa-tin King the Weddur guy on a commercial station is the worst offender when refferring to Gardai as Gawdee. Cops and Robbers perhaps.
ajapale

I have more cop on than that GG . Do you look like a Geegee or were you born with that long face :)
P.S. The dictionary definition of LURK : v remain hidden; lie in wait ;
Thesaurus definition : hide, linger, skulk, sneak, snoop. The only one that I do is lie in wait, as we all do on AAM :lol

Back