whats wrong with my PS3?

Killter

Hi folks,

I was playing my beloved ps3 last night and it just turned itself off mid game.

now it wont power up fully. when i turn it on it sounds like it powering up ok, but after about 15 secs it beeps, the blue light flashes yellow and it turns off!

the four lights on the controller keep flashing and never settle, even when plugged into the console.

The machine is about 2yrs old and gets very little usage.

Anyone any ideas please?? please help!

Don't know anything about them but saw a program on BBC last week complaining about PS3's breaking down, The yellow light you mention was called the 'yellow light of death' on the program, seemingly (if your problem is the same) you have to get Sony to fix it, not sure of the cost but people were complaining saying repair costs are nearly as much as a new console.
Good luck

http://ezinearticles.com/?How-to-Fix-Ps3-Yellow-Light-of-Death&id=2583044

thanks Rory.

I ve just been looking up info on "the yellow light of death". my ps3 has to be one of the least used in the country - i'm gutted that such an expensive piece of equipment can just die like this. its plain wrong. it was a gift from the missus for xmas 07, so warranty will have expired.

I wont be taking this lying down. Playstation 3? = a load of crap.

if you're thinking of buying a ps3 for little Johnny this Christmas...check this link out and see how many people have been burnt over the years. you might be better off with a Nintendo or something. the thread below has been ongoing for years now, and phony haven't fixed the problem.

http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=ps3&thread.id=2063585&view=by_date_ascending&page=1

an update - Sony helplines 014131728 or 00448705998877

killter

friend of mine had similar issue and contacted Sony Playstation in Dublin - they gave him helpline number and got it sorted.

update - i rang sony in UK (no Irish helpline) and they reverted me to retailer, as expected. however, retailer has tried to push it back onto Sony which is wrong.

I refused to pay the €160 charge for a refurbished machine, so it looks like small claims court.

thanks Rory.

i'm gutted that such an expensive piece of equipment can just die like this. its plain wrong. it was a gift from the missus for xmas 07, so warranty will have expired

Perhaps she is telling u something, & I don't mean ur beloved playstation :D

Last edited by a moderator:
This happened to my sons Playstation on Christmas Eve. Ok it wasn't his Santa present but a new game for it was, he was gutted as it was the only thing he asked for and he couldn't use it over christmas. After a lot of searching we found out the hard drive was gone hence the "yellow light of death". It was just out of warranty, 12 months and 2 weeks, typical!

I got onto Console repairs ireland : http://www.consolerepairs.ie/ and they are replacing the hard drive for €60. It takes about 7 days. Not bad. The guy says it is caused by continually turning the PS3 off incorrectly, ie you should NOT turn it off at the back, first power down using the button on the front and then turn it off at the back. It seems to be a very common problem but it can be fixed for €60. I'm picking it up at the end of the week.

John

JohnHeskin - When my PS3 died 3 months out of warranty I got onto Sony, who as a goodwill guesture charged my something like €15 to cover shipping, collected my broken PS3 (including the receipt to show sale date) and gave me a refurb unit -the refurn didn't have a warranty.
[email protected] [email protected]

Back