Whats involved in DCC house survey?

Sinbad311

Hi,

I have been approved for Shared ownership with DCC and have found house and we have Sale Agreed on it. Paid 3000 deposit and now have to wait for house to be valued and surveyed.

just wondering can anyone tell me whats involved in survey? My worry is that the house in question is roughly 50 yrs old so it will need modernising ( re-wire, rads, etc...) Will the surveyor take all this into account??

Also there is a small 8' x 8' extension in the kitchen which has a leaking felt roof, will this be cause for concern, or would they just make certain recommendations??

So if all the above are taken into question by surveyor, will the DCC want to see that I have the available funds to have work done?

Cheers in advance..

Simon

Hi Sinbad dont worry about it. All that will happen is that the surveyor will come around and assess the house and ascertain is it worth the money you have offered and any areas in which he finds faults or thinks things need upgrading he will list them for example, old wooden windows need upgrading, vents must be put in all rooms, leak to roof of extension to be made waterproof etc. The only hastle that you could have is the council may ask you how you plan on funding the fixing of these problems. I know friends who have simply said their parents will be helping them out with the major works such as leaking roof and the windows, vents etc will be replaced/improved as and when funds come available. Dont worry about it, its all just routine

Ericsson :)

Cheers Ericsson... puts my mind at rest.. was worried about leaking roof. especially coz I want this house big time!!!! I have a few quid put aside for modernising new place so should be ok if they ask how it will be funded.
No history of savings for me Maxol.. just lump sums lodged into account.

Thanks

Was onto them today giving the last of my docs in and got big lecture bout how my app is not strong because my accumulated savings were achieved sporadically over the years as opposed to a regular amount each week/month.

Pain in ass. Was also told that it's individual on dcc shared ownership section who makes final decision and not the affordable homes pship?? This worries me.

Sorry for hijacking yr thread sinbad.

Ur grand Maxol.. ha ha.. I explained to them that I was renting for the past few years so saving was difficult. but that my folks gave me a gift for deposit.. they seemed happy enough with that. Although, I know that the criteria for approval is different
now.. I made it just before they changed over.. Any more questions fire away..

Simon

Was onto them today giving the last of my docs in and got big lecture bout how my app is not strong because my accumulated savings were achieved sporadically over the years as opposed to a regular amount each week/month.
<snip>

Don't you just hate people in finance who apparently moralize over HOW you saved your money - I ask you!

ONQ.

Hi i got a lend of 3000euro off my mother when applying for the S.O. This was lodged into my account in a once-off payment and other than that I have not had any other evidence of savings, and my account has been in overdraft a fair bit over the past few months. There was still no problem for me so please god everything should be ok for you too :)

Ah cheers folks, this board is a god send.

Tbh I think this woman liked to show her status by demonstrating some control.

I wonder is it afforadable homes pship that makes the decision or her?

Ah I'm going out of my mind thinkinbout all this and have to say after encountering her I reaaly think I have no chance :-(. And I'm usually an optimist. She just poured mucky water on myhopes!

Is it with DCC you applied Maxol? Did u get the womans name? Im not sure who is in charge of the 'final decision' but I have found them to be very flexible so far. I was purchasing a property off them last year and i ended off pulling out and got an extension on my application. During the extension i found another property and it ended up falling through no fault of mine so i went back to them looking for an extension on my extension!!! I was sure they would say no but i got through to some lovely helpful people and I was granted another extension and im after going sale agreed on my third property... fingers crossed! Just make sure u dont get talkin to 'Eileen' as she has not got a breeze... best of luck

ha ha ok maxol. there are a couple of really helpful people in there. found david and lisa to be very good. from my experience i ask for the same person every time i ring and if they are on lunch, off that day etc I leave it and ring back the next day. that way they are familiar with my situation and you dont have to give the whole rig-marole every time you call. also if you are talking to different people they always say they will call you back but they NEVER do! if your dealing with the one person they know they have to call you back or you will plague them :) ha ha

ha i just wish i could change my person now!! the original person i spoke to re my app was great but then next person i heard from was this one and when i dropped forms in i got her again and she seemed to be saying it would be returned to her to make the final judgement call and she certainly appeared to have made her mind up on her call from what i could see :(

im hopeful that when it eventually gets back to her sure she'll have forgotten who i am by that stage or better still it lands on someone elses desk!!! ah i think i'll buy a wendy house nad put it in the park...might stretch to 2 wendy houses and put it on as an extension! :)

ha ha i like the extension idea... it could easily add another 50k to the resale value! ;) But no really dont beat yourself up too much about it. I had no problems getting approval and i have quite a few loans... 20grand worth to be exact! I think you should get approval no problem the biggest problem is how much they will approve you for.

Yeah we've loans similar to that amount. She just really seemed such a downer about accumulated savings, loans, etc. It was like she was asking questions for the sake of it. Though I was told that they ahp come back really quickly if they're not happy with the docs for the application and f I don't hear from them by early next week I'm probably ok. But then it was thrown in all bout if ahp approve it, then she will see if she agrees with them andtgen if she does she'll send it on to the credit panel of dcc blah blah!!

So basically keepin the fngers crossed that my phone doesn't ring over the next few days ;)

Seriously everyone thanks for being so helpful and willng to chat

@ericsson... how long after you paid your 3000 deposit was your survey done.. then what happens..if u could give me a quick rundown with a time frame, if u dont mind of course!!
Was chatting to fella in DCC and he said 4-6 weeks before I get keys.. but I cant see that happening!

Thanks,

Simon

Sinbad,

I think the survey is usually carried out about 2 weeks after you hand in the blue form. The house I was buying actually fell through just before the end :( so i cant give you an exact time frame :( I since found another property though (last week) and am waiting for the survey to be carried out on this. All in all it used to take 6 months between the property going sale agreed and signing however with the market the way it is at the moment I have been assured it now takes 6-7 weeks. was told this by DCC :)

Just heard from estate agent about survey and valuation. Valuation went fine, but the surveyor was making very negative comments. So I rang DCC to see what they think, but they hadnt received report from surveyor yet.
The house in question is 40-50yrs old so I knew it would need to be re-wired, small leak in felt roof on kitchen extension, BER rating would be bad.. But all of the above were easily sorted. Fearing the worst now, praying the DCC will be open-minded about repairs/upgrading needed but I'm not very positive.
Anyone ever in a similar situation and if so what was the outcome??

Thanks,

Simon

Sinbad,

Sorry to hear that but im sure it will be ok with DCC provided the valuers value is ok on the property. Yes the surveyor has i think 10 days or something like that to get their report back into the council after carrying out the work. Let me know how you get on when you do eventually hear.

Ericsson :)

hey folks, how's everyone..trevor great news you got your final approval!!

just thought id let you all know i got my house!! moving in next thursday and im thrilled with it, went through sdcc and they were million times better!!

Back