What's in a name eh!?

I'm dead curious about this one now!

I think I can cover this without advertising or giving you any identifying details.

I am "credited" with introducing a baby product to the UK, I didn't design it, I just had an incredibly cute baby who showed it off beautifully (it was a skill, something learnt over time). Ofcourse when we did tv shows, day time talk/baby shows mostly, our names would be scrolled along the bottom. Mine is fairly unspectacular but the wee one's probably had a few pregnant mummies thinking "oooohhh!"

I retired her at two years old because she was turning into a diva :) but then she was getting a bit old by then.

Brian O'Brien, Conor O'connor etc must be common names as I know people by those names. Also knew a girl by the name of Annette Curtain. But the name that really takes the biscuit is one I heard this week which I can't repeat here in case someone known to that person reads it. (also the person is a minor so wouldn't be fair)

What about Annette Bag - have heard that one. My sister went to School with a Ramsbottom - don't know if thats how its spelt but she got a fair bit of slagging. Remember as a student collecting for a charity and one of the other collectors was a guy from Kerry called Kerry . Of course we all just called him Kerry from Kerry but he used to go quite red when giving his name, didn't help that most people think of Kerry as a girl's name

Seán D'Olier

Rick O'Shea

Robin Banks
Dusty Rhodes

How many more DJs can we name ? :)

How about Joe Kerr, and his brother Wayne ?

I remember a friend telling me about when she worked in a shop in Dublin an this young woman comes in with her 2 young kids (boy and a girl), who proceeded to run riot around the shop. Eventually the woman yells out (in a good old inner city accent) "Blake! Crystal! Come over here!!" :D

can't remember where i heard of the woman who introduced her daughter (as she prounounced it) Iv - in - ee . Said she'd seen the name in a book and thought it was nice. The girls name was Yvonne.

Then there was that pal of ours we were always getting the librarians to page for us in college - Mike Hunt

This one is gospel true (not that any of the others aren't) I used to know a guy called Christopher Peacock - he would go nuts if you called him Chris and not Christopher.
Thats absolutly true.
He he!

Or all the Hoare families around the country: on telephone:" Is this the Hoare house?"

I think I can cover this without advertising or giving you any identifying details.

I am "credited" with introducing a baby product to the UK, I didn't design it, I just had an incredibly cute baby who showed it off beautifully (it was a skill, something learnt over time). Ofcourse when we did tv shows, day time talk/baby shows mostly, our names would be scrolled along the bottom. Mine is fairly unspectacular but the wee one's probably had a few pregnant mummies thinking "oooohhh!"

I retired her at two years old because she was turning into a diva :) but then she was getting a bit old by then.

now i'm even more curious

Well Clubman , the state interferes in lots of areas of our lives and in this instance I think a little delay in making the decision, not necessarily forbidding the name, might be in order. In some cases, you could say, its a child protection issue!!!!

What about the primacy of family unit under our constitution? Surely that allows (married only?) parents to choose whatever name they see fit for their child even if some or most others would deem them inappropriate?

Did anyone else see this? It's from a NY radio show where a man has promised to name his new born due in December after the DJ in exchange for a voucher for $100 of petrol. He will get his voucher when he can produce the birth cert naming the child Dixon Willoughby Partin after the host.

[broken link removed]

Back