What/What Not to Buy at Lidl/Aldi

the fink brau is ldl is grand, nice to have in fridge perfect size for a little taster. the nuts are great too pissachios and peanuts.

Since Aldi have moved to Limerick i've put on a load of weight.
Sitting here eating their Selected range crisps- the Thai ones are my fav.
Selected range of pizzas - yum.
Salad mixes, cheddar, cordial, veg, most of their chocs.
About the nappies the pull ups from Lidl are better than Aldi. The Aldi ones leak and if they get very wet fall down which the Lidl ones don't. You have to be a better parent when using the Aldi nappies:p

Last edited:
The 6-packs of Bergadler German beer in Lidl were gorgeous and great value....better than miller/budweiser and all that other stuff. Then they went and changed it to something called Perlenbacher which is in nearly identical packaging but not near as nice. Biggest dissapointment of my year so far. Also try the blue packets of wafer/chocolate biscuits. I am completely addicted to them. Concur about the baked beans....absolute muck! Don't like their pizzas either.

see they are now offering cheap one way flights , i use their pizza,s very often the meat ones that is beans seems ok to me

I buy the Tomato & Mascarpone pasta sauce from Aldi. Not too bad at all!
Nuts are ok and the musli yogurt is quite good at €.50. Lidl has good fruit and veg.

Personally, I can taste the cheapness. Lidl and Aldi are just like "own brand" stuff. Fine for Irish people without tastebuds.

Interesting article about German meat here:
http://service.spiegel.de/cache/international/0,1518,435268,00.html

Interesting article about German meat here:
http://service.spiegel.de/cache/international/0,1518,435268,00.html
What has this got to do with Lidl and Aldi in Ireland? :confused: Many of their meat products are sourced locally as it happens.

Since Aldi have moved to Limerick i've put on a load of weight.
Sitting here eating their Selected range crisps- the Thai ones are my fav.
Selected range of pizzas - yum.
Salad mixes, cheddar, cordial, veg, most of their chocs.
About the nappies the pull ups from Lidl are better than Aldi. The Aldi ones leak and if they get very wet fall down which the Lidl ones don't.
You have to be a better parent when using the Aldi nappies:p
Like leaving them until they are very wet before changing.

What has this got to do with Lidl and Aldi in Ireland? :confused: Many of their meat products are sourced locally as it happens.

as above, most of the Fruit, veg, fresh meat (chicken, ham, beef), bread & cheese comes from very reputable sources in ireland. Now i dont eat any Meat products so i cant really comment on the quality of them. I bad thing about the fruit and veg from Aldi is that they dont last very long after purchase.. tend to go off very fast when brought home and they dont print any use by dates or sell by dates in their fresh veg which is a bit annoying...

I find the alot of the cereals in Aldi to be ver nice. The Milk is actually nicer than anything else around in my opinion. And I see people are still going on about the baked beans.. I tried them along with Heinz on the same day and to be honest didnt really notice much of a difference.

The colslaw from Aldi is 100 times nicer than the same item found in Lidl..

Personally, I can taste the cheapness. Lidl and Aldi are just like "own brand" stuff. Fine for Irish people without tastebuds.

generally "own brand" stuff is made in the same factory as the "Branded" stuff and usually side by side too.

Aldi or Lidl dont make any of the foods as far as i can make it out. they are made by companies and branded for them.

Here's what I'd recommend off the top of my head.

Lidl:
  • Fresh OJ (fridge section) - lovely stuff at €1.50.
  • Basmati rice
Aldi:
  • Cereals: especially Benefit flakes (= Special K)
  • Mediterranean tortilla wraps
  • Frozen Duck with hoi-sin sauce and 'pancakes'. Can't remember the exact name of this but it's superb!
Both:
I'd echo other sentiments about the fruit & veg being good although not long lasting. However, have you ever wondered why stuff from elsewhere lasts much longer?

The cheeses are always nice from both places too.

Numbs post about the change from Bergadler to Perlenbacher in Lidl struck a chord with me. The new stuff is ok, but the Bergadler was great.

It seems as time goes by I'm buying more and more from Aldi/Lidl. Quality/price is great, for most things. Every little helps as they say. ;)

See Eddie Hobbs is urging shoppers to avoid Dunnes and go to Tesco - because of the way the two have reacted to the abolition of the Groceries Order - totally ignoring the fact that Lidl/Aldi are often cheaper than both for many goods...

strawberry and rasberry in aldi are good. strawberry in lidl is good. drinking water is half price in lidl compared with aldi. ( both Irish) agree about the benefit flakes. cashew nuts are a better size packet in aldi than lidl. canned sardines in both are as good as brand names and much cheaper. herrings in aldi are very good ( love the bar b que sauce one) camambert cheese is better in lidl. beer is better in aldi. (in my opinion, obviously)

Like leaving them until they are very wet before changing.

Let me clarify before i'm put on the Bad Mammy step.
Aldi nappies leak over night and hang around the knees in the mornings. Lidl ones don't but are bulkier during the day.

Dried herbs are a good buy in both shops.

hi
fink brau is the carton of cheap beer bottles
in london i wouldnt go to lidl aldi _too crowded with poor people with trolleys full up_very often
it was an unpleasant shopping experience with long qeues down the aisles
despite the fact the checkout girls were very fast
it was so much easier to go to asda tesco safeway etc jusy b4 closing time or about 11pm if opened all night at this time there was usually lots of reduced prices _esp for bread salads convience foods roast chickens etc as well as the weekly giveaway special offers -about half price
also the stores were sparkling and the customers werent all shabby in other words a nice shopping experience
however i have to admit enjoying my shopping experience in lidl aldi in ireland
they have agood range of foods some not normally available locally
of course they have alot of german stuff some of which is very nice
anyway i like
chocs 200g hazelnut choc 89c
dog food
video tapes
bratwursts
raisin nut mix 99c
doughnuts
feta cheese lidl cows milk but adi feta is better greek cheese
sultanas
calif prunes dried dont have anymore?

i like shopping so i like to shop around all the supermrkts
ive known hard times so have become a bargain hunter
now im a bit more money but sometimes its hard to lose the habit
anyway i think it is great that there is more choice
stollen cakes around xmas time are delicious
happy shoppin

How are these shops for Shampoo and toothpastes?

probably the same as a supermarket own brand i.e. not top quality but adequate if you are not too fussy or low in money
was in lidl yesterday as nearest aldi is 20 miles away
its true_eating chocs etc will put the weight on . best solution is to be disciplined when shopping _buy a bit less of the weighty stuff
in my experience the idea that you will buy a lot and ration it out at home doesnt work
anywAY BOUGHT alesto peanut 99c 500g kp nuts are over 3 euros
nuts are nice roasted and salted so cheap i also feed to dog
batteries 8 aa 3.99 in london mrkts can get 8 for 1.4 e anyway bought as needed tho price in comparison is high
profiteroles lovely i.29 decided to leave doughnuts tho i know are very nice
wAnted to buy beer but i would like advice which beer is best to buy in lidl? bought tennents last week was nice but over 1 euro a can
i know its aprice/quality thing
maybe better in tesco
didnt see any choc alco liquers . are there any

cottage cheese nice
pineapple juice very very nice95c
one of the things i like in supervalu or tesco is the reduced bargain items or special offers often a great deal if the best before date is about to expire etc
in lidl usually set price occasional reductions
yeah going to try out all the juice drinks solveta brand
i get a pain in my teeth an hour after eating a choc bar its a classic pleasure pain and its focussing me a bit
does the sugar get into a cavity or what and the bugs get food so they start their activity iguess bugs like chocs

Lidl's Tiramisu is yummy - I just worry that it doesn't have any storage instructions. Should I keep it in the fridge after opening? How long is it safe to keep it in the fridge?

Back