What towns/places are within reasonable commuting distance from Athlone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Athlone Commuter towns

What did you have in mind? plenty of villages around. Moate is probably the nearest small town - even Mullingar isn't that far away.

Hi,

Ballymahon, Moate, Killbeggan, Longford, Roscommon, Mullingar, would all be in easy reach of Athlone if you drive. Otherwise, a bus goes through Moate to Athlone every half hour I think!

I often thought Moate might be a nice enough place if it wasn't for all the traffic. Spent many an unhappy hour crawling through it.

But it'll be bypassed soon-ish & will then be a much more attractive proposition. Quicker commute too, no doubt. All of which won't do the local property prices any harm either, you'd imagine.

You could consider Tullamore, either. It's about a 22 mile journey; obviously you'd have to go through Moate at the moment, but at least there's the bypass to look forward to!
You also have the advantage of the two towns being on the Galway-Dublin train line.

ballinasloe is also within a respectable commute.

Thanks all for the replies - sounds like lots of options :)

Am i right that most of these places listed (with exception of Moate probably due to no by pass - yet!!!) would be pretty much a stress free driving experience i.e. no traffic jams, bottle necks, no regular hold ups etc

Thanks

Don't forget Glasson - 5 miles from Athlone in direction of Longford. Lovely village, great pubs, great restaurants, golf course, fishing, boating

What about Kenagh in Co. Longford, about 20 mins from Athlone just beyond Ballymahon? Lots of new housing estates have sprung up in the village. Heard some houses are slow to sell. You could buy one at a discount if banks are on the builders' backs and builders eager to sell.
Also, O'Boyle's pub serves a mean pint of Guinness!!!

Thanks all for the replies - sounds like lots of options :)

Nothing wrong with Athlone - just keeping options open

Am i right that most of these places listed (with exception of Moate probably due to no by pass - yet!!!) would be pretty much a stress free driving experience i.e. no traffic jams, bottle necks, no regular hold ups etc

Thanks

Tullamore has terrible traffic problems. So I was told when I moved down here from Dublin. At peak hour (note the singular!) on a Friday evening, it can take 15-20 minutes to get through the town.

Having said that, a bypass is being built and is expected to be completed in 201x (put in any number you like, you've got as good a chance of being correct as anyone else (as long as you don't put a 0 in!)).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back