What to tell guests re 40th BD presents?

Toby

Planning 40th birthday party for family member.

Just looking for ideas on what to say to people who ask what presents he'd like - don't want people feeling like they've to spend a fortune in this day and age!

Any ideas - donate towards something big he really wants, vouchers etc? How to say it without sounding pressumptive?

Thanks!

Would you think of making a gift list or wish list of some kind? This is widespread in the UK when I lived there, for birthdays, weddings, anything.

You pick a store and tell them everything you want, going from as high to as low a price as you wish. This gives people the chance to buy what they can afford, it then gets taken off the list so there will be no doubling up on gifts.

Nah - wish list ok for a wedding but this is a much less formal event - would feel pressumptive - want to just say something casually - like have a pot to put a few quid into maybe but something more subtle than that .........

Then perhaps you shouldnt say anything at all, it would seem like your expecting a gift when I don't think you ever should.

Then perhaps you shouldnt say anything at all, it would seem like your expecting a gift when I don't think you ever should.

Thats the problem, but I know people will bring stuff and he wants to make it clear they shouldn't feel pressure to spend a lot - I attended a 40th recently and the pressies were all in the €50 region!

So tell them that he doesnt expect a gift, if they still spend a lot, then thats up to them, you have said all that you can say! Alternativly, say no gifts please!

Well, you indicated that you were wondering what to say to people who were asking what type of stuff he likes... You could just say that he doesn't expect any gifts, but if they'd still like to give something All4One Vouchers would be preferred. They're accepted in a lot of shops, can be bought online and I'm sure they're as happy to be given the easy option.

I dunno about All4One vouchers, there has been a lot of gripes about them too. Gift Vouchers can be a sticky subject too with business's in decline.

I had a 40th a while ago, while most people did bring pressies, I would have been as happy if they hadn't (or better still, donated to charity on my behalf). Another way to go is to suggest they get a "kris kindle" type of present, something that reflects their personality....I'd alway prefer to get something small that has some thought behind it.

I don't think there's anything wrong with vouchers. I personally prefer them, don't know how much stuff I've given away because I didnt like it. Difficult to give presents to grown ups, and All4One Vouchers can be bought to any amount and are accepted in all major stores. But that's only for people who ask what to get - that's what the OP was wondering about, there was never any mention of people being expected to bringt gifts. I depends on the kind of do, too, if I was invited to a quite organised do, I'd bring something, if it was drinks in the pub probably a card with a lottery ticket in it! And of course depending on how well I know the person.

If the guests know him, they will chose something personal, if they ask, tell them to buy whatever will remind him of them.
Make a CD, whatever..This is not a wedding.

tell them you want cash and that you will name and shame anyone who does not comply with your wishes..

If it were my 40th, I would discourage presents.
Personally I would just like people to show up and have fun.
I have to admit to being behind on a few 40th birthday presents...due to lack of inspiration rather than tightness....but you know so what.

I had the big 40 recently. I wasn't expecting to get presents, but did get a few, most people bought very nice things and vouchers in groups which was great. I'd say leave people to their own devices and they will figure it out.

if the person has any particular hobby maybe people could buy vouchers for a shop for that hobby.

if they like gardening, give them plants.

maybe pay for a weekend away somewhere?

i'd be happy with any presents. i'm so easy to please, lol.

Sorry for posting in wrong area mods!

Good to hear its not that common to give 40th presies - maybe the event I was at was a bit more formal and hence the scale of gifts. Shouldn't be a problem then.

Back