What to put on Landing, Stairs and Hall

Delboy

Never thought I'd be asking a question like this!

Carpet on landing,stairs and hall is very very worn at this stage and needs replacing but with what?
It's a small townhouse with only a kitchen,hall and living room downstairs. 3 bedrooms upstairs and a bathroom.

Now the sitting room has a well worn timber floor (lighly coloured) and kitchen has lino (lightly coloured also, looks like tiles).
So what to put (and what colour) on the landing, stairs and hall....I was thinking laminate/semi-solid on the hall, and carpet on the stairs and landing.

But that would mean essentially 4 different types of floor covering downstairs/on the stairs. Would that look ridiculous?

I need something hard wearing and easily cleaned as have 2 young boys running around. And house will be hopefully rented out within next couple of years for another few years before being hopefully sold (once NE is cleared!).

Any opinions greatly appreciated

Carpet on the stairs would be better for noise reduction if you have 2 young boys running around.

thanks BillK, will have to do that to the stairs at least. Otherwise I'll have a big job sanding and touching up the stairs if say I just wanted to paint it....too much hardwork there.
The hall downstairs is the 1 I've no idea what to do with

I would try and match laminate of kitchen or some wood effect to match s room. I wish I had gotten rid of carpet when kids were young... so much grit/dirt comes thru front door.

My situation is a good hall and landing carpet but stairs carpet worn on turn in stairs. I had the straight parts of the carpet turned but they could not do anything in the area where there is a turn in the stairs. It seems an awful shame to dispose of the lot for a few small worn areas.
Delboy. I would probable go with a downstairs wooden floor and the rest a carpet.

Otherwise I'll have a big job sanding and touching up the stairs if say I just wanted to paint it....too much hardwork there.
We don't have a full flight of stairs, but have some stairs /steps as the house is on 2 different levels.

You don't need to sand the stairs, you can use ESP Primer, it goes on with a soft cloth and you can paint directly on top.

We've painted our stairs and have used the [broken link removed] for the centre of the stairs. They're available frequently in packs of 15 mats in various colours - we used the and they look great. It's also handy as you can have a few extra and if one or two get dirty or stained, you can just change those ones.

The hall downstairs is the 1 I've no idea what to do with
IMO, for a permanent solution, tiles are the only way to go particularly with children in the house. There are some great deals to be had at the moment as the tile shops are not doing anything near the business they used to.

If it looks too cold, you can put a runner in the hall which you can change relatively cheaply from time to time.

"You know it makes sense"! ;)

>>IMO, for a permanent solution, tiles are the only way to go particularly with children in the house. There are some great deals to be had at the moment as the tile shops are not doing anything near the business they used to. <<

Sorry have to disagree. I can't stand tiles. They are hard, cold and slippy when wet. What kind of state is the kitchen lino in? Could you replace it and have the same one in the hall as well? Lino is great for kids. Hardwearing but soft if someone falls or drops something, easily cleaned etc.

>>IMO, for a permanent solution, tiles are the only way to go particularly with children in the house. There are some great deals to be had at the moment as the tile shops are not doing anything near the business they used to. <<

Sorry have to disagree. I can't stand tiles. They are hard, cold and slippy when wet. What kind of state is the kitchen lino in? Could you replace it and have the same one in the hall as well? Lino is great for kids. Hardwearing but soft if someone falls or drops something, easily cleaned etc.

kitchen lino only went down last year but already has a few 'tears' on it. It cost a few quid so I'm loathe to dump it so soon.
Not a big fan of tiles either I have to say

thanks for all the comments by the way

We don't have a full flight of stairs, but have some stairs /steps as the house is on 2 different levels.

You don't need to sand the stairs, you can use ESP Primer, it goes on with a soft cloth and you can paint directly on top.

We've painted our stairs and have used the [broken link removed] for the centre of the stairs. They're available frequently in packs of 15 mats in various colours - we used the and they look great. It's also handy as you can have a few extra and if one or two get dirty or stained, you can just change those ones.

IMO, for a permanent solution, tiles are the only way to go particularly with children in the house. There are some great deals to be had at the moment as the tile shops are not doing anything near the business they used to.

If it looks too cold, you can put a runner in the hall which you can change relatively cheaply from time to time.

"You know it makes sense"! ;)

I'll rip the carpet up on the stairs this weekend to see whats underneath but I don't think it'll be pretty...I can only imagine the low grade timber that was used given what I found in the kitchen when I put in new lino last year.
But that idea is a good one

Back