What survey to complete for a new build

Dagny Juel

I recently went sale agreed on a new house. I was thinking of getting a full survey and a snag list completed, just for the piece of mind. One surveyor quoted me for both and also advised that I request a "green certificate" for pyrite. Another surveyor emailed me to say that a survey is of no use to me, as structural defects do not show up for 6-10 years and that the 10 year structural guarantee through the builder would cover this and that I should just get a snag list done. I'm a bit confused by this and would feel better having a proper survey carried out but then maybe I'm being ridiculous? What is standard practice in situations like this and is the green cert something that is provided by the builder as a matter of course? My solicitor has never heard of this. Would appreciate any advice.

Bad plumbing, poor drains, inadequate insulation, non-compliance with fire or building regs or dangerous electrics will not be covered by the structural guarantee and remember the "structural guarantee" is actually an insurance policy with a third-party. Structural defects can show up at any time, not necessarily only between 6 & 10 years.

Get a surveyor in and make sure they have adequate professional insurance to cover you in case they mess up.

Thanks for your reply, I'll definately get the full survey done. Does anyone have any experience of obtaining the green cert for pyrite? The house in question had its foundations laid in 2007 but it was actually not built until 2013, so I'm a bit worried about possible pyrite issues, although there have been no news of any pyrite in that estate that I can find.

Back