what percentage of Irish people own shares directly?

Brendan Burgess

Founder
A German friend has asked me this question, saying it is only 5% in Germany.

I can't find the answer anywhere. Anyone got any ideas?

It might higher due to a couple of reasons:
1. Eircom
2. Multi-nationals and others (banks for example and IT companys) using share options as part of remuneration.

OTOH, does the 5% figure refer to individuals (as opposed to family units?). In which case, that might equate to 20% of individuals are in a family unit that owns shares...

I would imagine the percentage of people who actively buy and sell shares in Ireland is much lower.

It might higher due to a couple of reasons:
1. Eircom
2. Multi-nationals and others (banks for example and IT companys) using share options as part of remuneration.
Wouldn't Germany have had similar flotations and similar multi-nationals/banks/IT companies?

Is it a generation thing, I would imagine older people seem to be more interested in shares. This is merely an observation with no statisticial basis

Whatever the figure is at the moment, could it possibly be a lot higher in 12 months time given the price of shares at the moment? I know that every 4th or 5th person I talk to these days is talking about, or already has, bought shares, albeit on a relatively small scale.

Whatever the figure is at the moment, could it possibly be a lot higher in 12 months time given the price of shares at the moment? I know that every 4th or 5th person I talk to these days is talking about, or already has, bought shares, albeit on a relatively small scale.

That seems to be at variance with the people I talk to. Most are getting out of shares, despite my advice.

Brendan

That seems to be at variance with the people I talk to. Most are getting out of shares, despite my advice.

Brendan

Maybe Its just my social group, 25-35, most with no mortgage and/or children, have had good jobs since starting work. A lot of these people, like me, would be novice investors with a willingness to take a chance with a relatively small sum. Maybe its a cyclical thing so, we're the fresh crop ready to take up the baton from the people who may have made money and are getting out in an effort to protect that.

A German friend has asked me this question, saying it is only 5% in Germany.

I can't find the answer anywhere. Anyone got any ideas?
Matt Cooper (or maybe Live at 5) had Senator Shane Ross on last evening talking about this and he (Shane Ross) came up with a figure but I was in my car and was only half listening. Does anyone remember the figure/percentage? I reckon it was well above 5%, i.e. individuals' lump sums etc. as you asked and not just people whose pension funds have bank shares.

Back