What next, no idea?

J

Jemmy

Hi everyone,

I'm 23 and was told yesterday I'm being let go from my job friday.
I've applied for other jobs already but if nothing comes up what can I claim or do as an alternative if nothing comes up? I'm still living at home with my parents, I'm single and I've no dependents. I've been working since May last year after I finished college.

I don't really know anything abut the dole or what there is out there to claim I've never been in this position before.
I might be going to New Zealand in May to work does that change anything?

I know I'm only 23 but I've supported myself since I was 18 through college, paid my own fees (my dad was just barely over the income limit for grants), my own rent for 4yrs, managed to get myself a car and keep it going. I've worked for everything up to now. Now I don't know what to do next, I did civil engineering in college and there is nothing out there now.

Thanks in advance,

Jemmy.

Did you have any part-time work in 2007 or 2006. If so you may have enough PRSI contributions to get Jobseekers benefit or even a portion of Jobseekers allowance (which is means tested).
I think you should go to your local SW office and apply for jobseekers benefit as they will have your records and will advise you.
If you are not eligible for either you should sign on for credits which would keep your record intact and may be of benefit in the future

Yea I've worked part-time alot during college for 4 yrs I think I shoud have built up enough.

Thanks for the advice, going to drop in there monday.

Hi everyone,

I'm 23 and was told yesterday I'm being let go from my job friday.
I've applied for other jobs already but if nothing comes up what can I claim or do as an alternative if nothing comes up? I'm still living at home with my parents, I'm single and I've no dependents. I've been working since May last year after I finished college.

I don't really know anything abut the dole or what there is out there to claim I've never been in this position before.
I might be going to New Zealand in May to work does that change anything?

I know I'm only 23 but I've supported myself since I was 18 through college, paid my own fees (my dad was just barely over the income limit for grants), my own rent for 4yrs, managed to get myself a car and keep it going. I've worked for everything up to now. Now I don't know what to do next, I did civil engineering in college and there is nothing out there now.

Thanks in advance,

Jemmy.

Im in the same situation, things are very bad in civil engineering. I don't hold out any hope of getting a job in Ireland.

Back