What next ? end of 12 mths on JB

M

Midget

My husband is claiming JB and will probably be claiming for a while yet unless things improve in the economy. There is a 12 Month limit to this payment - What happens after 12 Months? Has anyone been in this situation?
I've checked the SW site and i can't find anything on this.

Your husband can apply for Jobseekers Allowance (JA) after the 12 months. The main difference between JB and JA is that JA is means tested while JB is not. In the case of a couple, the means of both parties are counted. Your local SW office should explain this to your husband.

He may well qualify for Jobseekers Allowance - it's means tested - so your income (if any) will be taken into account as well as his (if he has any). The rates are similar to Jobseekers Benefit.

Thanks guys!
We don't have any assets apart from our home and i earn 38k a year. My income alone won't cover our mortgage,car loan,household bills etc.
Is this taken into account for a means test or is there anywhere i can read about the income limits/rules for a means test.
If my husband found a half decent FAS course he'd apply for that but there doesn't appear to be much on offer in our area with future job prospects.
Would he better off taking doing any course in the meantime if we fail the means test?

Back