What is worth training in (engineering/technical)

johnno09

I know this is probably like asking people to predict the lotto numbers (& if you can please do) but anyone in the know, could you suggest any technical/engineering type areas that would be worth training in for the next 2-3 years, that there would be likely to be decent prospects/ options in?

How about Biomedical Engineering?
We already have a large medical instrument sector

Or Biochemical Engineering for the
pharmaceutical sector

Surely you should only train for something in which you have an interest in. If you simply pick a course based upon some vain hope that it will be a good qualification to have, you will surely end up unfullfilled etc at the end of the day. Follow your gut feeling and go for what you are interested in.

Surely you should only train for something in which you have an interest in. If you simply pick a course based upon some vain hope that it will be a good qualification to have, you will surely end up unfullfilled etc at the end of the day. Follow your gut feeling and go for what you are interested in.

This might have applied during the Celtic Tiger, does it really apply these days? Having no job is deeply unfulfilling, even if you've been trained in something you love.

Magunn is right. Do what you will enjoy. You'll be better at it than something you're not interested in.

I compromised on what I did in university in the 1980s. I regretted it later.
Never choose a career just because it will get you a job or money. Hundreds of people have just finished law degrees, many who did it for money and career reasons. No job and lots of people who've done the course possibly for the wrong reasons.

Conversely in the 80s I was talked out of doing law because it was still "Dickensian" and you supposedly needed family connections. I did a technology course which possibly suited me less and I still couldn't get a job until I did more training. It was the biggest decision of my life as I decided on science and technology instead of humanities or the law. I would possibly be better at the latter but I've still made a reasonable career at the former. So far ;-) !

Well thats why im trying to figure out the middle ground i.e. looking into something technical/engineering wise as opponse to other areas and also looking for something that would give a variety of options.

Upskilling is definately something i neglected while I had plenty work (as an electrician)

Get your engineering degree, learn German and emigrate; even with the downturn they still have tens of thousands of engineering jobs (six months ago a recruitment company told me that there were 80’000 engineering vacancies there) and since so many of their engineers come from a trade background you will be in good company.
When/if you come back here you will see how second rate so many Irish engineers really are (not all but most).
The advantage of being a native english speaker there is that nearly all regulatory documents are written in english.

since so many of their engineers come from a trade background you will be in good company. When/if you come back here you will see how second rate so many Irish engineers really are (not all but most).
The advantage of being a native english speaker there is that nearly all regulatory documents are written in english.
The German IT professionals I have dealt with have had the apprentice type background rather than a more rounded university education. In many cases I have founded them very one-dimensional, hide-bound and unimaginative. I suppose it depends on the discipline. I prefer the more general Irish education.

The German IT professionals I have dealt with have had the apprentice type background rather than a more rounded university education. In many cases I have founded them very one-dimensional, hide-bound and unimaginative. I suppose it depends on the discipline. I prefer the more general Irish education.
They generally do their university education after their vocational training. This gives them a practical understanding of their sector before they get the broader training.
As to which is the better system, I think the results speak for themselves; SAP, Siemens, Bayer, etc

Back