what is the regulation

glic83

hi all a friend of mine is recently after buying a house in co. cork it has gas heating and from what i have been told its an A rated house my only concern was when he told me there is no other way of heating hot water other than the gas heating so if for whatever reason gas goes he has no way of getting hot water i was under the impression that an immersion had to be installed as back up but would just like to know what is the requirement if any of a back up

hi all a friend of mine is recently after buying a house in co. cork it has gas heating and from what i have been told its an A rated house my only concern was when he told me there is no other way of heating hot water other than the gas heating so if for whatever reason gas goes he has no way of getting hot water i was under the impression that an immersion had to be installed as back up but would just like to know what is the requirement if any of a back up

theres no requirement for an immersion as a heating backup...

and only accept the claim of the house being an "A rated" if you get to see the actual cert with the actual house address on it...

otherwise its complete BS....

if hes worried about the gas stopping, get him to install an immersion....

What is the issue? Isn't it a question that the switch at the boiler is changed from 'heat' to 'water' if he only requires water heating rather than the central heating to be operated? Its merely a question of using gas as a heating source rather than electricity.

What is the issue?
I think it's in the OP's post, where s/he says:
[...]so if for whatever reason gas goes he has no way of getting hot water [...]
I have to admit, I'm more comfortable having an electric immersion back-up, even though I rarely use it. But it's potentially useful for heating small amounts of water for a shower without switching on the boiler, or (as has happened to me) where there's a minor problem with the water circuit (?) from the boiler - my terminology's not correct, I'm sure, but basically there was an airlock somewhere between the boiler and the cylinder stopping the water heating. I was glad I didn't have to choose between staying unwashed or washing in near-icy cold water until the plumber could call out!

Its difficult to see how you achieve an A rated home with Gas only! have you seen the rating?

Back