What is the best way to get rid of cooking smells from the kitchen?

onway

What is the best way to get rid of cooking smells from the kitchen?

I hate when you walk in the front door and get the smell of previous cooking but it isn't practical to leave the windows open all day!

Anyone got any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:
Cook outdoors!
We used to bar-b-que all the time.
Even in winter rain, we just put up the parasol.
Only very high winds used to defeat us, and no smells inside.

But do you not like the smell of a stew or a roast chicken on a cold Saturday? I do.

I make sure bedrooms doors are closed and leave back door open for a few minutes.

Cook outdoors!
We used to bar-b-que all the time.
Even in winter rain, we just put up the parasol.
Only very high winds used to defeat us, and no smells inside.

Cabbage, carrots, turnips, sprouts or indeed any vegetable...how exactly would one cook these outside?

Cabbage, carrots, turnips, sprouts or indeed any vegetable...how exactly would one cook these outside?

Same as with fish.

Wrap in foil with a little oil or butter to suit your taste.

In most cases you can do without the oil or butter - its like steaming them in their own juices.

Use extractor, open window for a little while, and then use a scented candle, I find yankee ones great, 10 or 15 minute gets rid of the smell.

A good tip I got is to fill a small dish (dipping dish size) with water and add a few drops of lavendar essential oil. It's subtle but it does work, and unlike a candle it can be left unattended. (I'm sure other essential oils would work too)

+1 I use the deepfat fryer outside so no smell of the fryer.. often use the barbi in winter too if cooking something smelly.. have a large barbi with hob on it so very handy.. pain going in and out to check if weather bad but better than stinking up the kitchen.

I have a twin motor extractor fan - Bosch - and it is very good. I'm with others for burning scented candles. The Glade ones are very good, or getting an oil burner and heating it with a tealight when you start to cook.

Back