What food Goes with Fish ?

IrishGunner

Ok ropped into cooking dinner for Parents and want to do some fish

Ok I can do the mussels for starters but other than Pasta what else can I put on the table other than having parents saying 'is that all I am getting....

You want to cook a dinner with fish, is it?

We eat lots of fish in our house, current favourites are:

1. Salmon pie- just add a fillet of salmon per person to a saucepan with milk ( or cream/creme fraiche if feeling decadent) and cook for 5 minutes or so until salmon almost cooked through. Add herbs and seasoning to taste. Then transfer fish and sauce to a casserole dish, pile mashed spuds on top and top that with a little grated cheese ( and a little dotted butter if you like) then into oven until cooked through and top golden. Sometimes add peas to the salmon, sometimes I don't.

2. Salmon parcels- just put a fillet of salmon in a tin foil parcel with a small amount of lemon, a little butter and seasoning. You can add cream if you like and pop into the oven for about 10 to 15 minutes. Serve with potatoes & veg.

3. Fishermans stew- basically whatever fish you fancy- salmon, cod, etc in a pan with a little white wine and a tin of chopped tomatoes with some mushrooms and a red onion and either red or orange pepper. Add scallops 5 minutes before rest is cooked, add mussels too if you like. Serve with crusty bread ( or rice) or pasta.

4. Paella- sorry can't give recipe for this as MrV always cooks this- but look it up.

Loads of fish recipes out there!

You want to cook a dinner with fish, is it?
3. Fishermans stew- basically whatever fish you fancy- salmon, cod, etc in a pan with a little white wine and a tin of chopped tomatoes with some mushrooms and a red onion and either red or orange pepper. Add scallops 5 minutes before rest is cooked, add mussels too if you like. Serve with crusty bread ( or rice) or pasta.

Damn that sounds nice !!!!!

Nice and guilt free too. LOL.

My dad likes the salmon pie - I think he is from a mind set that if you don't have potatoes with your dinner its not a real dinner. It's also handy cause you can make it ahead of time and then just pop it in the oven 10 minutes before serving.

Well chips would be obvious....:)

Paella have a receipe for this I got from a Spanish Girl I use to work with but mother bit finnicky. Have not cooked this in a while though

Like the idea of Salmon pie may try out a test run myself

Usually get the fish in [broken link removed] in Howth, no affliation with them but they are the cheapest

crab cakes for starter

400g crab meat.
fresh chopped corriander (hand full)
the sqeeze of one fresh lemon.
1 spring onion... finely chopped
2 large cups of bread crumbs
1 large egg
zest of the lemon.

mix in a large bowl.... pan fry serving spoon sized portions for 2 minutes each side, then pop in the oven for an extra 3-4 minutes to cook through.
serve with freshly made guacomole sauce
:)

Risotto is really nice with seafood- I use prawn, calamari, mussels, white fish etc. The local fish shop does a big bag of frozen seafood mix which is ideal for this. For this dish all you need is onions, chicken or veg stock, a half glass of white wine (not essential but does add to the flavour), garlic (lots of it!), mushrooms, olive oil, knob of butter, arborio rice, tomato puree.

Coat the seafood in a little olive oil, add finely chopped garlic, fry up quickly and put to one side. Fry up onion until just soft, put to one side. Melt butter and add rice to pan, ensure rice is coated and add white wine. When this has been absorbed add the onion, sliced mushroom, seafood, stock and puree. Simmer gently for a few minutes before putting the whole lot in a (hot) good casserole pot (Le Creuset is idea). Season with some salt and freshly ground pepper, cover over the top with foil, add the lid and put in the preheated oven for about 15- 20 mins. You can also add peas, chopped tomatoes and basil if you desire. When ready serve up and add a bit of freshly grated parmesan cheese over the lot. This dish is very tasty and filling and should appeal to even the "meat and two veg" diner!

That risotto sounds very nice, thanks Carpenter! I have printed out the recipe for weekend. I used to use the frozen jumbo prawns from Lidl until recently I find theres almost a sort of disinfectant type taste from the odd one- urrgh!

Might try the octopus you mentioned on the other thread. I don't like Irish mussels- I find them too gritty.

That risotto sounds very nice, thanks Carpenter! I have printed out the recipe for weekend.

I can't claim all the credit I'm afraid, it's my take on a risotto dish from a great little recipe book called "Simply Italian" by Ursula Ferrigno. It also works great with bacon instead of the fish.

If budget is not a problem you could really impress your guests with John Dory or dover sole on the bone. These fish need little more than nice potatoes, some steamed veg (as already suggested) and a bit of butter for a heavenly treat!

weather is getting good, maybe you should barbeque the fish and serve with a baked potato and salad

MMMmmmm

Sour cream, chive and lemon mash potatoe.

The lemon in the mash obviously compliments the fish.

then a side of steamed green veg mange touts etc brocolli. make sure any veg is just crunchy and never mushy ! ( apart from peas )

Risotto is really nice with seafood- I use prawn, calamari, mussels, white fish etc. The local fish shop does a big bag of frozen seafood mix which is ideal for this. For this dish all you need is onions, chicken or veg stock, a half glass of white wine (not essential but does add to the flavour), garlic (lots of it!), mushrooms, olive oil, knob of butter, arborio rice, tomato puree.

Coat the seafood in a little olive oil, add finely chopped garlic, fry up quickly and put to one side. Fry up onion until just soft, put to one side. Melt butter and add rice to pan, ensure rice is coated and add white wine. When this has been absorbed add the onion, sliced mushroom, seafood, stock and puree. Simmer gently for a few minutes before putting the whole lot in a (hot) good casserole pot (Le Creuset is idea). Season with some salt and freshly ground pepper, cover over the top with foil, add the lid and put in the preheated oven for about 15- 20 mins. You can also add peas, chopped tomatoes and basil if you desire. When ready serve up and add a bit of freshly grated parmesan cheese over the lot. This dish is very tasty and filling and should appeal to even the "meat and two veg" diner!

Marry me Carpenter!

Back