What does an Architect bring to a House that an Engineer or Technician cannot?

onq

When explaining what architects - as opposed to other building profeessionals - bring to a project to readers on AAM, I have struggled to put matters into words.
It can be hard to describe verbally or in writing what architects do for a living, and in many cases one must be guided by the client.
By posting the link below, I try to show what one of the best modern architects, Daniel Leibeskind, can do with a great brief.

Words don't really do it justice.

[broken link removed]

I am not a Liebeskind fanatic, and admit that, for some, his work is an acquired taste.
In the example posted above it probably needed an unlimited budget to achieve all that he achieves.

Yet I find his work inspiring and the important thing to take from this is the new way he looks at everything.
Within a beautiful natural setting he uses the geometry to suggest spaces and functions of the different "rooms".

From the pointed apex of the double height central space to the built-in dining and living areas.
From the choice of bronzed stainless steel to the dark timber interior and the design of the taps.

It is all one, clear concept, or set of concepts.

I hope this enlivens the discussion and that the clarity of an inspired example benefits the debate.

ONQ.

[broken link removed]

All advice on AAM is remote from the situation and cannot be relied upon as a defence or support - in and of itself - should legal action be taken.
Competent legal and building professionals should be asked to advise in Real Life with rights to inspect and issue reports on the matters at hand.

Back