What do you think of www.ratemyteachers.ie?

Re: Rate your teachers

I mentioned this site to somebody recently and they were horrified. They thought that I had used a four letter word other than "rate"! :eek

Ratemyteacher

When word of this site got out teachers were horrified.
The spokesperson for ASTI (I think) came on the radio telling people not to go near it. He even said it was a link to an adult site. (Which is isn't) Of course this only promoted the site further.

I live with two teachers and it when they heard of the site they too were disgusted. Then when they were rated on the site they were even less happy.

Funny thing is that since then they have been on the site every day giving themselves a higher rating!!

CN

Re: Ratemyteacher

Just checked that site for my old school. Horrified to see that many of the pupils don't even seem to be able to spell their teachers' names correctly! And reminded of the fact that just because a teacher is popular doesn't mean they are good at teaching - as seen by a teacher I had being rated pretty highly - he is a lovely man, highly intelligent and very knowledgeable about his subjects. But he could rarely control a class which made it great fun sometimes but not always terribly useful when it came to trying to learn.

"teachers were horrified."

I'm just curious about this choice of words to describe this situation. Horrified ... hmm I could understand "edgy" "nervous" "apprehensive" ... but horrified not quite with them on that one.

I suppose the main argument is they are quite unique (grammar freaks need not comment) in being rated in public. How many of us are rated in public; politicians, sports people and CEOs yes but not too many more. Still it's a free world and as such nothing can stop them.

Getting on the site and screwing it about seems about the most appropriate response.

I have to say that I find it quite funny, a nice little bit of pupil power! I wouldn't find it very funny if I was a teacher though. I went to quite a "snobby" private school in Dublin, where the teachers were often far from approchable - and this is reflected in the reviews they are now getting on the site! I am glad that it does not allow bad language or overly personal reviews though

I was on wanting to comment on a certain teacher who was the worst ever. Not that strict but you learnt nothing from him! The site told me that someone else had tried putting on a comment about him and the site was notified that he never taught there! He never taught but he was there!!

It'll have a short lifespan I reckon as legal action will be threatened surely at some stage.
If they left it with just ratings it'd be ok, but the comment section is open for abuse.
I think its great to get back at rubbish teachers.

If I was them I'ld fight back with a ratemystudent site. Much better reading!

It'll have a short lifespan I reckon as legal action will be threatened surely at some stage.

The teachers organisations already contacted the Department of Education and they basically said that it's not their role to police the web.

I like Ocras's ratemystudent.com

If the teachers are that worried they could have a concerted effort to spam it to death. A bit like the way the Irish screw up the BBC favourite song of all time, "A nation once again" won agan last year. Or the new bridge into wembley is being called after German chap who scored the last goal in Wembley (Dietmar Hamann Bridge)

I was in the computer room (in school) a few days ago, there were about 11 of us (students). One of the students was using the computer which was connected to the projection system... needless to say within a minute he had the teachers ratings in hugh font projected on the whiteboard. She (the teacher) was'nt too happy!

I can see why teachers are annoyed - the site is too easy to abuse - teachers can be targetted in a vendetta.

However, the ASTI and TUI have in a sense only themselves to blame, IMHO, as they resist publication of school rating charts and indeed try to keep any information which allows parents to grade schools from getting into the public domain.

I guess people are wondering what teachers have to hide?

Back