What car to buy for 30 000?

You'll need a second car for when it's in getting fixed...

Yeah, probably not the most reliable brand. But having 30k to spend and ending up with something like a silver diesel 3 series is a sobering thought.

What Car for 30K

Friend of mine has Passat CC, but it was in for something last week and he was in a Golf GTD (DSG).
He was really raving about it from a drivers perspective and prefers it over the CC.

I am thinking of getting one soon but havent test driven it as yet, so cant comment.

That looks like a nice Honda. Have never driven Honda, but they seem to have a loyal following.

When considering VW's particularly with the TSI tech in the engine - beware of Turbo and coilover issues. I was looking at buying one of these a while back. I heard alot of issues with the TSI tech and also in the diesel engines turbo problems plus DPF ( diesel particulate filter ) issues??

To be honest if you are not doing huge journeys regularly I dont reckon a diesel would be a good bet. It seems this diesel particulate builds up in a diesel engine ( a black powder?? ). The engines are built to require longer journeys to burn this off, if all short journeys this does not happen and can eventually cause issues.

Bob

To be honest if you are not doing huge journeys regularly I dont reckon a diesel would be a good bet. It seems this diesel particulate builds up in a diesel engine ( a black powder?? ). The engines are built to require longer journeys to burn this off, if all short journeys this does not happen and can eventually cause issues.

Bob

That is true about the DPF filter if you are not doing enough miles for a diesel. I will average about 16-18 k kilometres and was told I should be ok.

MandaC and all,

Thats a thing that I reckon is going to come up alot down the track. With this big drive toward economy and greenness the small diesel engine is making its way into cars in the 1.4 to 1.6 range of daily runabouts. These are cars that will be only doing short journeys and city / town driving. The DPF thing is surely going to be a big problem here? I think the symptom is the engine cutting out mid drive ...

Bob

I bought a brand new Renault Laguna Coupe 3 months ago. Its a really stylish car. Haggled down to €29500 and that included an extended 5 year warranty. I also didnt have to give them my old Megane. I sold that for €1500. I havent had a single problem with it.Its a 2litre 150bhp

Thanks for all your suggestions! Lots of food for thought!

i've just drove a very nice Audi A4 SE 2.0 diesel, 143 BHP, 09, 7k, asking price is 29000, or 28 with my trade in (a 10 year old banger). Does that sound like a decent deal? Ideally I'd love the Sport line version of it for a few grand more, but thats going beyond my budget... Plus the guy said that the sport line has a harder suspension which is more uncomfortable on our roads.....hmmmm??!

The BMW dealer told me last week that their prices would more than likely rise next january.. Is this likely?
thanks,

Thanks for all your suggestions! Lots of food for thought!

i've just drove a very nice Audi A4 SE 2.0 diesel, 143 BHP, 09, 7k, asking price is 29000, or 28 with my trade in (a 10 year old banger). Does that sound like a decent deal? Ideally I'd love the Sport line version of it for a few grand more, but thats going beyond my budget... Plus the guy said that the sport line has a harder suspension which is more uncomfortable on our roads.....hmmmm??!

The BMW dealer told me last week that their prices would more than likely rise next january.. Is this likely?
thanks,

Buy something 2 years old with low mileage. Buying cars from new is madness.

What's likely here is he's trying to convince you to buy from him now and not wait. He is after all a car salesman!

A4 SE 2.0 diesel is a rep mobile. If my boss was paying for it I'd say thanks very much, but I wouldn't spend my own cash on it. Go for the S-line, the extra kit transforms the look of the car.

car

I would look at a hyundai IX35 or a BMW x1, both new, efficient and low tax. Both small people carriers/jeeps, but both stylish.

i would stay away from the ALFA from experience. LLLOOONNNGGG story. A BMW is all about the looks and sheer driving pleasure. I have a 2004 318ci coupe from new with 106,000 mile and the front bushes are now worn. This has been the only problem. Fantastic car but have to agree it is a little boring on the inside but driving is believing

OMG how boring are you all being...!!!

The most exciting thing mentioned here was the Alfa... and that was promptly ignored...

You know what I would do if I had 30k to spend on a car... I'd spend 23-25k on a classic and keep the rest in reserve to look after it for a few years.

Why do this...

1 - The dreaded specter of depreciation is almost eliminated... and if you buy smart, you might even make money.

2 - The dreaded specter of VRT is almost eliminated... You can import a car over 30 years old from the UK with a flat rate €50 registration charge.

3 - You get something that's eye catching, exciting, and puts a smile on your face when you look out of the window in the morning... when you climb into it for the drive home... when you lie in bed at night and remember what's outside on the drive.

Don't be boring until you absolutely have to!!!

Some ideas...

Porsche 911 SC 3.0 Coupe
Jaguar XJS 5.3 HE V12
Triumph Stag / TR6
Mercedes Benz 350/450SL

Anyone any other suggestions...?

OMG how boring are you all being...!!!

The most exciting thing mentioned here was the Alfa... and that was promptly ignored...

You know what I would do if I had 30k to spend on a car... I'd spend 23-25k on a classic and keep the rest in reserve to look after it for a few years.

Why do this...

1 - The dreaded specter of depreciation is almost eliminated... and if you buy smart, you might even make money.

2 - The dreaded specter of VRT is almost eliminated... You can import a car over 30 years old from the UK with a flat rate €50 registration charge.

3 - You get something that's eye catching, exciting, and puts a smile on your face when you look out of the window in the morning... when you climb into it for the drive home... when you lie in bed at night and remember what's outside on the drive.

Don't be boring until you absolutely have to!!!

Some ideas...

Porsche 911 SC 3.0 Coupe
Jaguar XJS 5.3 HE V12
Triumph Stag / TR6
Mercedes Benz 350/450SL

Anyone any other suggestions...?
I couldn't agree more..........I'd pick the Stag from that list. If I had 30g I'd spend my evenings tormenting 1.3 Honda Civic boy racers in my newly acquired Lotus Cortina.....(my dream car btw)......If only!!

Ahhhh.... Lotus.....

There was an Esprite 3.5 V8 in a main dealers Dublin for under 20k...

Now that's a car!!!

There's some cracking motors approaching 30yrs now.
I want all of the following.

Porsche 928 (Risky Business baby)
Merc 500 SEC
Renault Alpine GTA
BMW 3.0csi
BMW 323i E21
Volvo P1800

.......budget of 30 000 at the very most.............something classy, sporty looking and stylish..

Mercedes-Benz CLC-Class 180 Spt Auto
[broken link removed]

....No kids and no dog! Car is just for me. ......... eye catching and sporty, but not extremely flashy. perhaps understated style .......

depending on how well they sell but 30k could get you one of these come Oct/Nov this year.
[broken link removed]

Back