What are we watching on TV?

September is the time for US networks to debut their new shows. Hope there's one or two stand-out ones this year, can't remember any from last year that made an impression on me.

Recent offerings, such as Under The Dome, Ray Donovan & Low Winter Sun have been average. Hoping for something better this year, either drama or comedy.

Breaking Bad, season 5 episode 14, Ozymandias

I am both sad that there are only two episodes left, and relieved that I have to 'endure' just two more episodes :eek:.

This is drama that never been seen before on TV.

Newest season of Mad Men starts @ 11pm tonight rte 2. My favorite show since it aired.

September is the time for US networks to debut their new shows. Hope there's one or two stand-out ones this year, can't remember any from last year that made an impression on me.

Recent offerings, such as Under The Dome, Ray Donovan & Low Winter Sun have been average. Hoping for something better this year, either drama or comedy.

Best new show I've seen from this year is Orphan Black, worth a look. The Americans was pretty decent too though took a while to get into it.

BB episode 14 season 5

Ozymandias

I met a traveller from an antique land
Who said: `Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desert. Near them, on the sand,
Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them and the heart that fed.
And on the pedestal these words appear --
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.'

Percy Bysshe Shelley

I watched this twice. Awesome.

Marion

Primetime Emmys 2013

Outstanding Comedy: Modern Family
Lead Actress in a Comedy: Julia Louis-Dreyfus for Selina Mayer in Veep
Lead Actor in a Comedy: Jim Parsons for Sheldon in The Big Bang Theory
Supporting Actress in a Comedy: Merritt Weaver for Zoey in Nurse Jackie
Supporting Actor in a Comedy: Tony Hale for Gary in Veep
Guest Actor in a Comedy: Bob Newhart for Professor Proton in The Big Bang Theory
Writing in a Comedy: 30 Rock

Outstanding Drama: Breaking Bad
Lead Actress in a Drama: Claire Danes for Carrie Mathison in Homeland
Lead Actor in a Drama: Jeff Daniels for Will McAvoy in the Newsroom
Supporting Actress in a Drama: Anna Gunn for Skyler in Breaking Bad
Supporting Actor in a Drama: Bobby Cannavale for Gyp Rosetti in Boardwalk Empire
Writing in a Drama: Homeland

My main gripe is The Newsroom getting any award. Better than Bryan (Walter White) Cranston for Breaking Bad, better than Jon (Don Draper) Hamm for Mad Men, better than Kevin (Francis Underwood) for House of Cards ?

Breaking Bad, season 5 episode 15, Granite State

I have run out of superlatives.

Think I can feel a bout of man flu coming over me that may require me to stay home next Monday ;) ..

I cannot wait for the Finale of BB.

Vince Gilligan is on record saying that there will be a victory for Walt. But, that could mean many things - as we know.

I suspect that there will be a number of individual Emmy awards based on the last eight episodes of BB given next year - 2014.

Marion

Watched Downton on Sunday evening. Loved it!

Watched Downton on Sunday evening. Loved it!

Downtown Abbey. Just .. don't .. get it ?

I have watched a few episodes. The one where one of the leading characters has his last scene was so telegraphed in advance, it was drained of all dramatic tension.

And when I see Hugh Bonneville, I can't get past his character in Twenty Twelve. So that's good ;).

Think I can feel a bout of man flu coming over me that may require me to stay home next Monday ;) ..

I cannot wait for the Finale of BB.
The Lighthouse has done some deal with Netflix to show the final episode on the big screen next Monday. :cool:
[broken link removed]

But you can't buy tickets, you have to enter a competition to win them... and "lines opened" at lunchtime today. :(

Why I love Downton Abbey:

The romances. The era. The upstairs/downstairs story. I have a fond memory of Ruby in another show (Upstairs Downstairs).

The precious attention to detail. The perfectly laid out dining table for entertaining.

The petty squabbles that reflect the differences between employees.

The fact that the employers in this show are in the main good people.

The one-liner quips by Violet. Dame Maggie Smyth is fabulous.

The dresses. The hair styles. Did you notice the crimping?

The general goodness in people. Though, there are definitely some bad eggs.

Marion

It's not in the same league as BB in terms of the story telling but it's very watchable in its own right.

I love it.

Marion

As a man and a recent convert to Downton Abbey, I can see why it is so popular. Ridiculous writing, ridiculous story lines and ridiculous characters but it has an undeniable charm with some superb acting. It's not the wire or breaking bad but it is guilty, enjoyable Sunday night viewing.

New season US TV coming on stream this week. Watched first two episodes of Modern Family last night, more new stuff tonight and at weekend.

New season Homeland starts Sunday night. Of the new dramas, Masters of Sex is generating the most heat (badum tish :eek:).

Only recently got into Downton & watched all series in the last month. Its enjoyable escapism, lovely house, style etc and the storylines are ok. May not be classic but it's great to take your mind off things.

New season Homeland starts Sunday night.

Looking forward to it, having just finished Season 2 on RTE.

Also enjoying 'Under the Dome' - not quite top-grade quality, but enjoyable all the same, based on yet another gem of a book from Stephen King.

Has been very difficult to ignore Twitter in relation to Breaking Bad.

But I managed it.

One more sleep.

Marion

Has been very difficult to ignore Twitter in relation to Breaking Bad.

But I managed it.

One more sleep.

Marion

Twitter, Facebook, US new websites all in lockdown and embargoed 'til tonight.

If I hear Journey and "Don't stop believing", I may have to declare a fatwah on Vince Gilligan ;) !

Back